𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

CHAPTER NINETEEN

winter awakening

A FEW WEEKS had past since her talk with Sirius and the snow started coming down as Betty's life momentarily shifted back to a semi-normal, however, the dread of the winter holidays without Hope still loomed in the air — all of the traditions that would become half complete because all of the Lupins knew they could never muster the love and care that Hope could with only the touch of her finger. However, her friends, in an effort to keep her cheer, dragged her to the winter Hogsmeade visit. 

Bundled in one of Remus's old coats and one of Hope's old scarves, Betty walked out, red nosed and rosy cheeked, to the courtyard to meet her friends. They greeted her in an array of colors — Aisling in her usual oranges and pinks, Philippa in a bright red coat and Cece in jewel tones. However, they had a new addition to their party — Mary McDonald, who was huddled closely next to Cece in a simple black coat with worn mittens, however, they couldn't have looked happier. 

"Hello everyone!" Betty greeted as she approached them with a jolly smile. "Hello Mary."

"Hey Betty!" they greeted with cheer, making Betty scrunch her nose and look briefly over at Cece, who's face was a stark contrast to the icy white snow slowly falling on their shoulders with eyes cast down to look at her shoes. 

"What brings you to Hogsmeade with us?" Betty asked with a smile, not trying to break out into laughter.

"Well, Lily and Amos are going together and Marlene and Dorcas have their one and a half year anniversary and Emmeline is off somewhere and Cece came up and asked me ... well Aisling asked me for Cece and, well, here we are!" Mary explained with an awkward smile and jazz hands. 

"...right," Betty replied as she looked between the three of them, but she regained her sunny composure just as quickly. "You all ready to go?"

They all hummed in agreement as Betty went through a checklist of money, scarves, gloves or mittens and any medication that they might have needed. Once they were all ready to leave, Betty linked her arm in Philippa's, laying her head on Philippa's shoulder as they watched Aisling buzzing around Cece and Mary. It was a short, bustling walk from the castle to the village and they smelt the Three Broomsticks before they actual pushed the door open and piled in. 

The small pub was buzzing with students from every year — being the most popular place, probably aside from Honeyduke's and older students could be seen making beelines for their usual tables with their friends and lovers.