Speak First | Kagaya x GN!Reader (Fluff)

Not requested by anyone just an idea I had

Platonic Master/Subordinate Relationship

Reader has a stutter 

---

(Y/n) was quiet. So quiet that they had been titled the Silent Hashira rather than being titled for their breath style. It wasn't like they were shy. Far from it. They were one of the more extroverted Hashiras. However, they had yet to utter a word to anyone. While they did stand amongst the others during conversation, they either listened and nod or shook their head in response or wrote on their notepad if need be. A year later and it has been widely accepted that (Y/n) was mute. At least until now...

"G-Good morning everyone." (Y/n) greeted as they walked into the stone garden for the Hahira meeting. Everyone's heads snapped in their direction, mouths agape from shock. (Y/n) had a proud smile on their face as they walked up to stand amongst the others.

"(Y/N)! YOU CAN TALK!" Mitsuri blurted.

(Y/n) nods. "Y-Yeah."

"I suppose this is the end of calling you the Silent Hashira!" Rengoku boomed in his usual loud voice.

"Just imagine how pleased the master will be! You should be the one to greet him today." Mitsuri said in her giddy voice.

(Y/n) vigorously shook their head. I haven't practice enough for that!

"Awe no need to be shy. I know the master will be delighted." Mitsuri continued to pressure (Y/n), completely blind to the dread filled look they had on their face which the other Hashiras could see clear as day.

"The master has arrived." The white-haired twins announced in their monotone voices, guiding Kagaya to the engawa. All the Hashira lined up and bowed.

"Welcome my children. I thank you for coming." Kagaya greeted.

(Y/n) felt a light jab as Mitsuri elbowed them, signaling them to greet the master. (Y/n) gasped lowly and looked to the other Hashira, all of whom stayed silent.

(Y/n) gulped nervously. I've got this. "G-Good morning O-O-Oy-Oyakata sa-sa-sama. I'm p-p-p-p-p-p-p-pl-pl-pleased to- to- s-s-see..." (Y/n) glanced at the other Hashira as they struggled to speak. Their thoughts were written all over their face.

'Are they nervous?' Mitsuri thought.

'How unflamboyant.' Uzui thought.

'It must be because of what happened to them.' Shinobu thought, clearing recognizing the cause.

Rengoku and Gyomei were confused. Muichiro was spaced out.

Sanemi and Iguro's irritated looks screamed, "This was a bad idea."

"We're gonna be here all day." Sanemi huffed.

"Sanemi." Kagaya mumbled in his soothing voice but it was scolding, nonetheless. Sanemi muttered an apologize, mostly directed at Kagaya, and stayed quiet. (Y/n) had already given up on finishing their greeting and looked down at the ground silently holding back tears.

Mitsuri pat (Y/n)'s back then looked at Kagaya. "Good morning master. It pleases me to see you in good health." She greeted him with ease.

It made (Y/n) all the more insecure about their stutter. They kept to themselves for the rest of the meeting, responding by nodding or shaking their head as they always had. When the meeting finished, (Y/n) ran out of the estate.

---

(Y/n) remained locked in their estate, tracing the scar that started just above their forehead and trailed down to the base of their left ear. It was visible due to a parting in their (h/c) hair that ran parallel on each side of the scar. (Y/n) deeply hated it for it was the root of their stutter. While on their first ever mission, they had sustained blunt force trauma to the part of their brain that oversees speech development thus leading to their stutter. 

If only I wasn't so reckless back, then. I would have been able to speak normally. I wouldn't have embarrassed myself in front of Oyakata-sama and the other Hashira.

Their crow flew in from the open door, perching on the bedrail. "Head to the Ubuyashiki Estate! CAW! CAW!"

(Y/n) let out a sigh at the crow's orders. While Kagaya may have summoned them to speak about a very important mission, he'd have to face (Y/n)'s stutter again. So (Y/n) slowly dressed up in their uniform while practicing the greeting for the master.

---

"Good after- afternoon, Oyakata-sa-sama. I-I-I-I-.... ughhh." (Y/n) groaned in disappointment as they arrived at the estate, bringing their short practice to an end. 

The white-haired twins led (Y/n) into the living room of the house where Kagaya was seated on the floor with some hot tea waiting on the side.

"Welcome (Y/N), my child." Kagaya said in that ever so soothing voice of his that never failed to ease them.

(Y/n) stayed quiet until they were seated in front of Kagaya then took a deep breath. "Good after- after- afternoon, Oyakata- Oyakata-s-sama. I-I-I-I-I'm glad to s-s-see you in- in good he-health."

"Thank you (Y/n). You've shown improvement in your stutter. I'm pleased to hear it." Kagaya smiled warmly.

(Y/n) looked down at the ground a bit disappointed then pulled out their handy notepad and wrote something then handed it to one of the girls.

"That was the easiest greeting. Sorry it didn't take a lot of effort on my part to say it. I'll be looking into learning sign language so maybe I'll be able to sign instead of waste time stuttering." The girl read out loud to Kagaya.

Kagaya nods his head a bit keeping that warm smile on his face. "That greeting still took effort from you to say. However, I would like you to practice speak instead of learn sign language. It takes time and practice to learn not to stutter so much. Don't worry about being a waste of time cuz you aren't and never will be a waste. Practice as much as you want. Don't be afraid to speak first."

(Y/n) was teary eyed even before Kagaya finished. They bowed down while sitting. "Th-Thank you Oyakata-sama."

The two spent the rest of the day drinking tea and talking. Kagaya gave the utmost time and patience for (Y/n) to practice more.