Bravery | Giyuu x Reader (Fluff)

Request from Tumblr

Warning(s): Social anxiety & mild panic attack

---

Giyuu knew what he was getting into when he started dating (Y/n) and he didn't mind accommodating their needs from the start. Anything that required going out in public was done by him. It was all in (Y/n)'s best interest and how could he not want the best for his lover. He made sure to stock up on supplies prior to long missions so (Y/n) wouldn't have to stress about doing the shopping themselves. Most dinner dates were held at home with take-outs that Giyuu would both order and pick up. If (Y/n) was up for it, they would eat at their favorite restaurant then go for a walk around town so long as the crowd was low.

Giyuu was content to keep things the way they were between him and (Y/n) so it surprised him when (Y/n) brought up their desire to get over their social anxiety.

"I can't just stay locked up in here for the rest of my life. I need to get over my social anxiety." (Y/n) proclaimed with the determined look Giyuu came to know as a sign that he couldn't say otherwise.

He was happy that (Y/n) wanted to better themselves and even though he was concerned about how things could go wrong at first, he knew (Y/n) would need his support to succeed. So, he sought advice from Shinobu and that's how he was introduced to exposure therapy.

"How are you feeling?" Giyuu muttered as he walked through a particularly crowded part of town with (Y/n) who's clammy hand tighten around his own. Their shoulders were shrugged as a way of protecting themselves from the perceived danger while taking in shallow breathes since deep breathes only made the world close in on them. Upon seeing (Y/n) spiral into panic, Giyuu turned around back towards the house. "I think that's enough for today."

Later when Giyuu informed Shinobu about (Y/n)'s progress, he was scolded for going to big. With further clarification, Giyuu learned to start small and take things up as (Y/n) got comfortable with each new situation. It started with walking around the front yard of the home greeting the neighbors when they came by, then walking around the neighborhood and so on.

After a while, Giyuu and (Y/n) went into town so (Y/n) could fulfill goal they had set for themselves ever since they started their therapy. Walking down the crowded street felt much different compared to the first time. To (Y/n), it felt like a monster watching their every move in hopes of seeing them mess up so it could judge them on it for the rest of their life. Now it was nothing more than regular people going about their business.

Giyuu was pleased to see (Y/n)'s improvement. He knew even before they entered their favorite restaurant that (Y/n) would achieve their goal. At (Y/n)'s request, he simply stood beside them as they ordered (f/f) and salmon daikon for the two and paid for it without any hesitation.

"Giyuu, is that a smile I see?" (Y/n) teased whilst the two were waiting for their food. Giyuu's lips, which quirked up at the ends, fell back into place making his usual stoic expression return.

"How can I not?" Giyuu admitted. "I'm so proud of you. It takes a special kind of bravery to face your anxiety." He leaned in for a kiss which (Y/n) fervently returned.