Before I go | Tamayo x Child!Reader (Angst)

Requested by Shizuka__ka

---

Muzan had been defeated. The news spread like wildfire to all allies of the demon slayers. Celebration filled the whole country of Japan at the news. After centuries of struggle and lose, the demon king was no more. (Y/n) was at the Butterfly estate, helping the other girls tend to the endless swarm of injured demon slayers while also anticipating the return of her mother, Tamayo, and her assistant, Yushiro. As day turned to night and the hours progressed, (Y/n) grew worried about their continued absence and decided to ask Tanjiro of their whereabouts.

"I'm sorry..." Tanjiro muttered, giving (Y/n) a hairpin. Tamayo's hairpin. "They both died during the battle."

The world caved in on (Y/n), leaving a heavy weight on her chest. Her heart beat rapidly as she took the hairpin in her shaky hands and clutched her close to her chest. They had won the battle but at the cost of her only family. She was so lost in the news she hadn't noticed she was walking out.

Maybe I should join them.

"(Y/n) please stay alive." Tanjiro said almost as if he had read her mind. "You're the only one who can remember Tamayo and Yushiro. So, you must stay alive to keep their memory alive."

(Y/n) stayed silent, reflecting on Tanjiro's words as she walked out into the night. He's right. I must stay alive and at least find a way to keep Tamayo and Yushiro's memory alive before I go.

---

A century had passed since that faithful day. (Y/n) was currently in her late mother's office turned art room. The floor was covered in sheets to make cleaning spills easier. The room was empty aside from basic painting materials such as canvas, brushes, an easel, and a chair for her to sit down as she painted.

She let her memory guide her hand as she painted a portrait of Tamayo and Yushiro holding hands. She shipped them both to say the least. Once she finished, she took a moment to admire her work.

"Mom. Yushiro. Tomorrow's the day." (Y/n) spoke as if the painting would respond back. She looked at a news article on her phone and showed it to the painting.

"World renowned artist (Y/n) (L/n) became famous for her picture-like paintings of a mysteries couple named Tamayo and Yushiro. Now she will be opening a museum in Tokyo that display all her works." The article read.

"The whole world will know how you two are." (Y/n) smiled proudly.

---

The museum's opening had arrived. Crowds of people flooded the museum throughout the day until near closing time when the crowd died down significantly. (Y/n) took advantage of the low crowd to walk around the museum and see how guests reacted to her paintings. The majority of the reactions were positive with many people pointing out how picture like the paintings seemed. (Y/n) cringed when she saw a particular group of people who were having rated-R thoughts about Tamayo. It took all her mental strength to not strut up to the group and tell them off.

She walked to the second floor of the museum where more of her more precious paintings were. Precious in that they came from memories of her mother and Yushiro.

"Lady Tamayo are you okay?" A very familiar voice inquired from across the room causing (Y/n)'s head to snap in its direction.

Her eyes widened; mouth left agape at the sight. Her mother, Tamayo, or at least a reincarnation of her was looking at the paintings with tears streaming down her familiar purple eyes. Beside her stood reincarnated Yushiro rubbing her back to comfort her.

"Its nothing Yushiro. The paintings just look so beautiful."

"Yeah, especially since you're in them. You look beautiful."

"Thank you. You look handsome yourself." Tamayo's complement made Yushiro blush lightly.

Mom. Yushiro. They're alive again and... a couple. (Y/n) thought to herself as she approached the two. "Hello..." She greeted them a bit awkwardly, a result of centuries of self-isolation.

"Oh hello. You're (Y/n) (L/n) right?" Tamayo asked, earning a nod from (Y/n). "Your art is so beautiful though I honestly didn't know about you until today. People kept saying we look like the people in your paintings, but I certainly don't mind it."

"Me neither. You captured Lady Tamayo's beauty with great skill." Yushiro said.

"Oh, I'm glad to hear that..." (Y/n) continued to converse with the two, subtly bringing up special memories she had with their past selves. The trance-like looks that shone over their faces signaled that the memories were flashing through their minds. A security interrupted their conversation to tell them it was closing time.

"Oh, it's time we get going then." Tamayo said, earning a nod from Yushiro.

"Wait a moment." (Y/n) said, pulling out the hairpin left behind by her mother which she had kept close and in good condition. She walked behind Tamayo and wrapped her long hair into a low bun with the hairpin holding it together. "There. This belongs rightfully to you, mother."

Mother? Tamayo and Yushiro both had the same thought but (Y/n) was already gone before either could question her. Tamayo pulled out the hairpin and the two stared at it.

Suddenly strange visions came flooding into their mind of them with (Y/n). Some were of them walking amongst cherry blossoms in the dead of night. Others were of them helping care for injured people. There were also quiet moments in which they were seated on the engawa of a house, staring at the moon with a half asleep (Y/n) cuddled up to Tamayo.

As the visions ended, they both had the same thought. Were those memories? Have we met before? They both felt the need to find out for themselves, so they sought out (Y/n). Luckily, she was at the entrance of the museum, almost as if she was waiting for them. (Y/n) then told them everything about their past lives as demons and of Tamayo being her mother. Even more memories confirming what (Y/n) told them came flooding into their mind.

"(Y/n). Would you like to become human again? We can help you. Yushiro and I are doctors even in this life." Tamayo said. To her offer, (Y/n) nod vigorously.

"Yes please! If possible, I'd like to live a human life with you two." (Y/n) said with a starry eyed expression. Tamayo and Yushiro nod and pulled her into a hug which she returned with no hesitation.

---

(Y/n) sat in a hospital bed in Tamayo's clinic sweating heavily. She coughed hoarsely, spewing out bloody phlegm. Tamayo wiped the phlegm from her mouth, examining (Y/n)'s weakening body with worried eyes. It wasn't hard for her to figure out how to make the demon-to-human drug due to her past memories, but she didn't expect an aftermath as the one becoming of (Y/n). Not long after becoming human again, (Y/n)'s body had weakened rapidly. She was now paralyzed and having trouble keeping food down.

Yushiro walked in examining some papers then gave them both a concerned look that confirmed Tamayo's presumption as to the problem. "(Y/n)'s organs have died. I'm afraid she really is dying. Being centuries old have taken a toll on her human body."

Tamayo choked up in tears. "I'm sorry (Y/n). I've failed as a doctor."

(Y/n) weakly turned her head to Tamayo. "No, you didn't. I did say I want to spend the rest of my human life with you two and I have even if it was only for a few months. I'm glad to have met you two again. Now before I go can I have some cuddles?"

Tamayo nods and laid beside (Y/n), gently cuddling the dying girl. (Y/n) leaned into Tamayo's warm and closed her eyes. "I'll see you again in my next life, mother." She whispered weakly with her last breath.