Hide Away | Tamayo x Daughter!Reader (Angst)

Requested by 2-658-Sakura

Warning(s): Hidden depression

This is pre-Yushiro

---

A sigh left (Y/n)'s lips as she laid on her bed followed by another and another and so on. It had only been five minutes since she woke up and she had already counted over 16 sighs before she stopped keeping count. Another day, but the same feeling of despair remained deep inside her. It seemed to drain her of all the energy she'd have as a teenager. She felt exhausted even after sleeping for almost two days straight. Not that she cared. She felt no reason to get up most of the time.

"(Y/n), are you awake?" (Y/n)'s mother, Tamayo asked from outside her bedroom door.

"Yes." (Y/n)'s answer came out as a whisper, but Tamayo could still hear it thanks her demon senses.

"Okay. Come on out when you're ready. We have a lot to do today."

(Y/n) understood 'a lot to do' actually meant her mother wanted to spend time with her. Ever since she became a demon, Tamayo found it important to spend as much time with (Y/n) as possible because 1) (Y/n) was a human thus she mortal unlike Tamayo and 2) (Y/n) was her only family left. The remaining members of their family had been unintentionally eaten by Tamayo when she became a demon. (Y/n) was away at the time thus she was spared from the bloodshed. At least physically spared, but not mentally.

(Y/n) left exhausted within the few minutes it took to get out of bed and get ready for the day. Internally chanting to herself that she'd keep her sadden hidden away, (Y/n) perked up and rushed down the stairs to greet her mom with a cheery smile like she always had.

"Ready to go?" Tamayo asked, receiving a nod from (Y/n). She's as happy as ever. I must keep this up until I get back to my room.

I'm as miserable as ever. Just gotta keep this up until I get back to my room.

---

"So, where do we go?" Tamayo asked. The two were walking around town.

'Back home. I'm tired of acting happy,' is what (Y/n) wanted to say but she'd be damned if she told that to her mom. Tamayo may not look it, but (Y/n) could tell she constantly felt guilty for what she did. (Y/n) didn't want to burden her mom anymore with her emotional problems. "Let's go to the café."

"Oh of course. How about a walk to the park after?" Tamayo smiled at (Y/n).

No. "Yeah." (Y/n) said enthusiastically. The park had always been their favorite spot. Turning down the opportunity to go would be a major red flag. It just two quiet places to go to. Nothing overwhelming or noisy. This should be fine.

---

It was not as simple as (Y/n) thought it'd be. The café was crowded despite it being night. The two only stayed for the duration it took to eat their favorites, but she was exhausted by the time they left for the park. Again, she didn't show her exhaustion. Thus, here they were walking through the crowded streets to the park. Tamayo was focused on walking through the crowd with (Y/n)'s hand in hers. Meanwhile (Y/n) was looking at the passing people.

They all have picture perfect lives. If I could, I would leave a like on every one of them. They seem happy and content with what they have.

"We're here." Tamayo said, causing (Y/n) to blink several times before realizing they were at the park. Tamayo was seated on a park bench overlooking a pond filled with ducks and koi fish. It was their favorite spot in the whole park. "It's so nice outside." She smiled.

"Yeah." (Y/n) mumbled as she sat beside her. Mom looks so happy, yet I feel tired and... depressed all the time. It's like we've living two different lives since dad and my siblings died. How can she be happy? (Y/n) was so lost in thought that she hadn't noticed her cheer façade had dropped into a gloomy, tired look. The tears came out involuntarily and she slumped her shoulders. Such was her usually posture when she was alone.

"(Y/n)? Are you okay?" Tamayo looked at her concerned.

(Y/n) looked at her mother. There was no going back. She knew her mother wouldn't let something like this go. "I wanna go home." That's all she needed to say. Tamayo asked no more questions. They just got up and left for home.

---

I'm so doomed. (Y/n) thought to herself as she and Tamayo made it home. Tamayo wasn't gonna let this go even if it was a first time thing. Once she stepped inside the house, (Y/n) bolted to her room but Tamayo, being a demon, was able to catch up before (Y/n) closed the door of her room.

"Leave me alone mom!" (Y/n) choked up her tears but Tamayo still noticed them and forced her way in the room.

"If you think I'm going to leave you alone like this you're wrong." Tamayo grabbed (Y/n)'s arms and pulled her in for a hug. "I knew something was wrong all along. You spend all day in your room which is unlike you. I often hear you cry too even in your sleep. Talk to me (Y/n). I'm here for you."

"... I miss dad... and my siblings. I wish they were alive. I want things to go back to the way they were, but it CAN'T and that just eats away at me. I... wish I had died with them."

That last sentence sent a thousand needles through Tamayo's heart. Guilt swelled within her at the consequence of her decision. The tears spilled down her eyes and she held onto (Y/n) tightly. "I'm sorry. It's my fault."

There were the words (Y/n) didn't want to hear. She looked at her mother catching the guilty look on her face.

Tamayo on the other hand could see guilt on (Y/n)'s face as well. "You've been hiding away on purpose. To keep me happy." She surmised. (Y/n) nodded a bit ashamed that she failed. To her surprise, she saw her mother's shoulders slump down and her face dropped to an equally tired, sad look.

(Y/n) quickly understood what that meant. "You've been hiding away too. For my happiness."

Tamayo nods. "I miss them too. If I had known the truth, I would have gladly died instead of taking that monster's offer. I think about my decision everyday just like you do. You're not alone in this. You don't have to hide away. I want us to get through this together."

(Y/n) listened silently the whole time then nodded. She let the tears rain down and so did Tamayo. They held each other until they felt the weight in their chests lift off. It left them relieved but also exhausted so they bid each other goodnight with genuine smiles on their faces. They woke up to a new day knowing that they no longer had to hide away.