xli. air of malaise

FORTY-ONE,
air of malaise

FORTY-ONE,air of malaise

⋆

THE DEAD WERE ATTRACTED to one thing, and one thing only — noise. This attraction, consequently, had been the downfall of far too many to count.

So, so many people in the world were faced with these menacing creatures all because of noise, and how it allured their predatory, reanimated instincts. By now, Ella had known too many who were unfortunate enough to meet their end with these monsters, the ones she grew to call by the name of walkers. There were plenty who held a place in her mind, minor, or a crucial addition to her past. Zach, Bob, Tyreese, her grandparents, and both her mother, and father, were prime examples of these creatures victims' who put an end to society as a whole. It was also quite impossible to forget the countless, unnamed faces she saw be eaten alive, through these beings. People who the girl knew next to nothing about, yet for that sole reason, felt the most bad for.

Walkers had, and would, be the end to so much, for the past, present, and future of their remaining lives. Either, through a bite to the neck, or arm, did Ella begin to truly get a grasp at how cruel these monsters could be. Their demonic ways had grasped the attention of many, ranging from that of fear, or curiosity, on terms of a certain little girl she once knew. Although, there had not been much to wonder about the creatures. They were simply deadly, intimating entities who wandered the Earth for one mere, pointless purpose — to kill.

Noise, from what Ella understood, had been the ultimate pin-point of a cause for these tragic affairs. Almost as if some type of lure, like the apple to Eve, sound of everyday life quickly became the conclusive start of the end of society as they knew it. Walkers came and went, most directly following the potential sounds of people, who, clearly enough, they sought after in devouring. It was a vicious cycle, that often targeted those expecting it the least, from the experiences she was unfortunate enough to become acquainted with.

It had happened far too many times to count, by now. Death, for everyone concerned enough to care, was now a part of their day to day living. It was no long a becoming process —dying was their reality. The blonde herself had seen it, a fair amount of times. No one had actually told her what was to become of her other family members, varying from her grandparents to stray uncles or aunts, but she had a good idea as of what happened to them all. Likely, the very same thing that happened to her parents, and the majority of the deceased population. The only possibility left to question though, was of where their deaths had occurred on the range of any shock factor. Wondering, that is, if they died laughing at a foolish, insignificant joke, or yelling for others to get to safety, while protecting them in the process.