xxv. the darkness

TWENTY-FIVE,
the darkness

TWENTY-FIVE,the darkness

⋆

NO MATTER THE MANY threats in their world, and the things that should have terrified every single soul left alive, there was still one thing that shouldn't have scared Ella.

It always succeeded though, in doing just that.

This useless phobia she had, it could be defined as nyctophobia. Better known to the public though, it was the irrational fear of the night, or darkness.

Something like that, she should have gotten over it by now. Ella had already grown out of most of her previous childish worries, so being scared of something like the dark, it was rather pathetic. As a result of her fears though, she often kept her anxiety riddled thoughts to herself, not wanting any of the others to know her hidden secret.

After all, when her family was aware of this, they would tease her nonstop, even when it wasn't dark out. However, that was mostly her sisters, rather than her parents, the more she looked back on the memories.

Ella would probably go insane if she heard one more joke about her pitiful phobia, and even if these people weren't exactly the type to tease so often, it still wasn't something she wanted to risk.

An example of these taunts would have been the night her mother died, while it was pitch black out, and they built a campfire for the evening. Their father, he made a small comment about Ella's irrational fear, something that was only fueled with lighthearted intentions. Nevertheless, while she was filled with embarrassment, everybody burst out into laughter, letting their guard down for those split seconds. That's when the walker came, and was able to take away their mothers life, without any of them being able to stop her fate.

It was just another reason why she hated the night so much, knowing it was apart of the reason why her mother was nowhere to be seen.