ix. flowers

NINE,
flowers

NINE,flowers

⋆

A FEW HOURS AFTER the tragedy inside the cell block, Ella found herself sitting in the midst of a grassy field, which just so happened to be the very same one where the argument with Carl occurred a day prior.

The girl let her delicate fingers grace across some of the wild flowers beyond the wired fence, their beauty clashing with the groans of the dead not too far away. Her young mind felt numb, with sore eyes from the painful tears which previously fell. Raising her head to glare into the eyes of the dead creatures, no emotion came like the previous times she faced the walkers. All her body had the energy to do was to just stare, as the distant moans from the walkers began to ring all throughout her eardrums.

If it weren't for of the fences, Ella was sure, she would have let them come at her. The monsters, that is. Her body felt the dull urge of not wanting fighting their grasp anymore, even if there were layers of wiring to protect her smaller form. Their mother and father were now both somehow gone, two of the most important people in her life. It left her as the sole person left to raise her younger sisters, with no older blood left in their family line. If it weren't for that singular fact, she would have probably felt almost insane with all the grief littered thoughts.

Both of her sisters, they were the only remaining landmark in her life that may have been able to pull her from this dark spiral of thinking. Without them, she would have been alone, lost in the harsh reality they now called living.

Glancing to her side, Ella took note of how Lizzie and Mika weren't too far away. Her youngest sibling stood up, just barely towering over her sitting form, while her stubby, tiny fingers clenched onto the rusty wired fence. Beside Mika, yet a little further away in the prickly grass, Lizzie was gazing out beyond the fences, the same as their smaller sibling. No words were said between the girls, as their silent company was enough for the time being.