xix. terminus

NINETEEN,
terminus

NINETEEN,terminus

⋆

AFTER APPROACHING ONE of the nearby fences, Rick was the first to climb over and inspect the grounds. This left Michonne to follow, along with Carl, Ella, and eventually Daryl.

When her feet made contact with the concrete ground below, Ella was finally able to get a good look at the sight before them, better known as Terminus. Daryl was right about what he said earlier, it was like a ghost town. Not a soul was in site, and the air was barren of any indication of life. It looked as if they had abandoned it, yet there were no walkers, so there wouldn't be a reason to do so.

Nonetheless, it looked safe. With no guards or people, the place was almost vulnerable to any outside foe. That's how they were able to sneak in, because this place, it was too big to protect. Still, it was suppose to be a sanctuary, and that's all that mattered.

Then again, what kind of sanctuary had no people? It was confusing, to say the least. Ella could recall when her family arrived at the prison, and how lively it all was. They had cookouts with one another, children playing in the prison yard, something Terminus lacked. She may have been judging too quick though, as they did enter through the back fences. It was safer that way, according to the adults.

Approaching a close by building, Rick opened one of its back doors, quickly motioning for them all to be quiet with their sudden arrival. Following his instructions, they soon walked down a nearby hallway, when a new voice began to come into range.

"Terminus, those who arrive, survive. Follow the tracks to a point where all the lines intersect. There are maps at the crossings to help you with your journey. Sanctuary for all, community for all, those who arrive survive."

Getting closer to this voice, a woman came into view. She was talking into a microphone, a paper under her hand, one she used to read off of. It was a script, Ella realized, the closer the group got.