xlv. lull of the dead

FORTY-FIVE,
lull of the dead

FORTY-FIVE,lull of the dead

⋆

THERE WERE THINGS IN THE WORLD that would forever remain desirable, perpetually being longed for, by the eager mortality.

At times, Ella liked to stare at the patterns of blue and white above, to be reminded of this. How the sun she so curiously wished to sneak a true glance at would reveal its blinding complexion through the veil of a passing cloud, only to be covered in the infuriating misty casing, before she could even get a proper look at the outline of such a marvelous star.

Quite recently, life could be comparable to that certain scene, of how the desired sight of a star would eternally remain blocked by that cloud, or be far too bright to even consider capturing a perfect picture of. So many times, was she greeted with the answer she longed for, only to watch as it slipped from her grasp, giving her that sliver of a glance to motivate her, once more. That cycle of life would continue on, as such — where a disappointment was followed by an urge, motivating one to move forward, to face the next despondency.

Ella had previously believed she knew Carl Grimes, perhaps, more than anyone else left to claim themselves as part of the living, as if he were a strand of her own mind. However, with this realization as of how he remained so distant, and yet so close all at the same time, did she feel dismantled from that thinking. Their relationship with one another left her in this slight quandary, where their preceding friendship had given her all the answers she needed in the terms of becoming close, but with whatever they were now, something had still felt missing.

That something edging her, prompting for her to persistently continue on, all the while trying to sneak at glance at whatever it was she wished to have answer for.

There were parts of Carl that were never a secret, throughout the period of time they had grown to know each other. For one, how he was so irritatingly stubborn, reluctant about portraying his feelings, or and an overall kind person, whether he would admit it, or not. Ella knew those things about him, like the back of her hand. She could have probably aced any free given test on the boy who had continually, without any fail, stayed by her side, for so long.