i. fade in

ONE,
fade in

ONE,fade in

⋆

EVERYONE COULD REMEMBER THAT DAY.

The day when a van, and how it was one of the few vehicles left working in their world, pulled up to the pebble tainted path. How it came to a stop multiple feet away from the building ahead, one which everyone eventually learned to call home, little by little. How one of the individuals who exited this car would turn a boy, one riddled with hatred and coldness, into someone who was filled with empathy and love.

It was that day when a girl, one who just barely escaped the grasps of her childhood appearances, slowly exited this dusty, grey van, and felt the pebbles of the gravely road below to make contact with the bottom of her worn down boots. Her deep ocean eyes wandered up the building not too far off, only being able to see the grey walls reflect back into her vision, giving them all a slight glance at this foreign structure ahead.

This girl, it was none other than Ella Samuels, one of the few survivors left in the world. Everyone else had been snatched by death, or worse, had changed. Changed into one of the dead, the creatures who owned every grain of soil left on the planet. It left the living to cower with fear at their threatening presence, and to survive in the shadows, where the monsters had yet to find them.

That's how Ella found herself here, at the place where everyone nearby came for refuge, or better yet, a place to live. Not survive, or hide in fear, but live. That's what this was, a place of safety, also known as 'sanctuary' to some. The girl didn't know if that's how she could describe it yet though, because something like a safe haven seemed to be a dream, not reality. Ever since the dead began to walk though, something like refuge, or even peace, didn't exist.

So when they were told of this place, let's just say, it was a nice surprise.

"We'll be safe here?" A younger voice inquired, moving beside Ella, the teen who stood a foot or two taller than the child by her side.