lvi. the dead's opinion

FIFTY-SIX,
the dead's opinion

FIFTY-SIX,the dead's opinion

⋆

THE AIR RADIATED of the most distinctive, pleasant aroma, amidst the tingling silence. A memorable scent, that crossed blurred lines with a citrusy eucalyptus, and a specific aura of the verdant sandalwood that was a rather soft fragrance, despite the harsh attributes to the subject and smell.

From the discovery of the stars, and the moment when human senses were blessed to be welcomed among the sparkling sea, many noted the peculiar scent of aflame coals drenched in the occasional, malodorous petrol, to be laced with the celestial bodies. Yet, this specific constellation, it was hardly as abhorrent — in fact, the freckled plane Ella soon deemed to be her own, personal view of a selfish galaxy, was rather aromatic.

No matter what context, the inky atmosphere that encased a collective of blinding suns, was forever intended to be an enigma, to the primitive mind. Assumingely, by virtue of how it was hypothesized to eternally expand outward, into what was widely addressed as the unknown, all the while fabricating thousands of galaxies out of nothing more than mere energy and the dust that helplessly roamed around the silent circle of space. From the moment human eyes found a reason to gaze up at the twinkling beams, with their makeshift telescopes that evolved into frozen, black and white photographs of planets thriving from light years away, their curiosity never faded away. Thus, enticing such secrets, that would never be solved as a result of current technology, that soon rotted away into the dust of the old world, finalizing the belief that no one would ever, truly, understand what reflected above their heads.

One fact remained though, that mankind was clever enough to discover — that these very stars many spend decades dedicating their entire livelihood to, were nothing more than dead matter, looming from the sky. Reminding them all, that the dead had been taunting them from the beginning of time, even before gaining the chance to land upon Earth, to inflict harm on more than just their puzzled minds. Yet, these corpses were, arguably, more of a danger, having blended in with the beauty of the living with far more skill; as, from millions of years away, they continued to trick the mortal eye of their status. Having been willing to only show astonishing glimpses of their past life to the eager humanity, rather than their demise, for it must have been far too demanding of their celestial pedestal, to have any creature lower than a star be witness to their downfall.