iv. sunny days

FOUR,
sunny days

FOUR,sunny days

⋆

AS DUSK APPEARED, Ella found herself back outside the cell block doors. While the sun was beginning to set, the residents of the prison were lively in making dinner and gathering around the garden tables. It wasn't any different for the young children, who all sat together beside another brick wall, the same chalk staining their hands.

Ella sat with the kids, Mika close beside her. The girls hands were running through her younger sisters hair, twisting three strands into a small braid. Her sister didn't talk to her though, her attention to her new friend who sat close by. Molly, better known as Mika's friend, had already gotten her hair done by the older girl. Of course, that meant Mika would have to get the same treatment. Ella didn't mind though, it gave her something to do for the rest of the evening.

While distracted, her mind drifted off to what had occurred just hours ago. Doing her chores in the early morning was something she was trying to do to get closer to Carol, but on the first day, it went terrible. Carl, someone she had only spoken too only once or twice, now probably despised her. Due to her recklessness, something that was more valuable to him than anything else imaginable was destroyed. If someone came in and broke a picture of her family, like she did to him, she couldn't imagine the anger she would've felt. Especially if someone she lost was in the photo, like Carl's mother.

Then again, there was the chance the photograph was ok and not damaged. She had ran out before anything was confirmed though, so there was no way to tell. Besides, she had been avoiding Carl for the rest of the day. He was always busy with his dad anyways, usually till just before bed. At least there was the possibility of being friends with Patrick, but it would've been tough for the boy to try to keep Carl and Ella apart for too long.

Even so, it may have been her nerves overreacting to the whole situation, but who could tell.

"Ella? Why'd you stop?"