chapter one P2

"Dude, are you ready to go?" Charles asked as I gave my hair a final touch.

I and Charles can live without food and water on Fridays but can't live without club nights. So today we were going somewhere aside from our regular New York club, for a change. The place wasn't like as I expected it to be but open and breezy near to the beach. Serial lights were glowing on the trees which felt like a December Christmas which still had time. I kind of liked this place.

Once we took our seats at the counter I ordered a Manhattan cocktail as Charles ordered whiskey for him and gave me a "Dude" nod. I didn't smile back which didn't stop him from smiling. He was the coolest guy too.

I took a deep breath as the sea breeze washed through my skin. The air was soft, salty, and sticky but felt good.

A few minutes later bartender placed our orders in front of us, with a nod he was gone to clean the same glass with the same cloth for, god knows how many times?

"So, what happened?" he asked, casually as he took a sip from his whisky.

"What?" I asked didn't know what he was talking about.

"I knew that unhappy face you don't put on every occasion." He raised his one brow to accept the fact. But I was no less than him. I'd dare him as well.

"So. What the status between you and Anna?" I dared him to go first.

He gave me that, "no, bro" look annoyed.

"You won. I just proposed to her yesterday." He said.

"What did she say? Did she accept that?" I asked.

"Yes! We are engaged now."

"Congrats, man." I pattered his shoulder to show that I was happy for him.

"Thanks, man." He said as he smiled. "Now it's your turn. What is bothering you? You can't say no because it was already written with ink on your forehead that says, 'something was bothering me'" he mimicked the last couple of words which annoyed me.

"Nothing," I said, averting my gaze like thieves who get caught while robbing the bank by the cop.

"Then, if there was only nothing. I'm going to call Mrs. Smith to know what'd just happened and what was bothering you? Isn't that fair?" he said.

"No, you don't."

"Yes, I will." He dared. His hand went to his pocket to pick the phone and when he got that out he started searching for my mom's dialler id.

"Fine!" I shouted and that makes me get some people's attention in the club which I didn't pay any attention back to them. With that shout, he tucked his phone back into his pocket and took a sip like these things never happened.

Once I told him the whole story of me being the CEO of the Smith industries which he knew I don't like even in hell. He gave me that tut-tut look. I didn't like to share those types of topics with him because I don't want his pity or anyone.

"You don't want to become the CEO? Do you?" he mused, his voice low and soft.

I nodded.

"Not in my father's company." I corrected him.

He thought about that for a minute.

"You must be kidding me, right," he said, angrily.

I shook my head a little angry though.

"Dude, do you even know what you are talking about?" he asked.

Actually, for god's sake, I was the one who didn't know what he was talking about. How can I take that position which my dad worked to get? He was always my inspiration and I also wanted to start from the beginning I don't want the palace which was already there. I've to create my Empire with my power and knowledge. Not my father's.

Even, while waiting for my refill to come Charles didn't seem to pause. He was going on with his motivational speech until I turned my head in fury. He paused and swallowed the lump in his throat like he was just scared. He was such an Oscar-winning actor.

"Don't be so dramatic." I scolded him.

"I didn't." He gave that smirk which he uses very often when he wants to make a girl fell into his arms.