chapter two P3

"Anu..." amma was calling from our dining room as she was setting the table for our lunch.

After that morning's conversation with amma, I went to study for my upcoming exams. To be honest, I'd been studying for the past four hours in a row but I couldn't concentrate on a single word. All I can think about was, will he look handsome? What if he likes me? No way, he'll like me because if I look beautiful or good enough I would have got any love letters or any proposals from my schools or in colleges. Look at me people, I'm 22 and I'm still single and I've been single from my birth.

Wait.

What are you thinking about, Anushiya? I scolded myself as I stood from my studying table and walked towards my full-lengthened mirror. As I looked myself in that bright mirror I started wondering, what's in me that attracted me the most? I was just an average girl from the average family.

Suddenly I remembered that amma sent me the photo which Sammy sent to that group by "mistake". I took my phone which was lying on my bed and opened the 'what's app'. My hand automatically typed for my amma's caller ID as 'Amma' on the search bar. Within a second my ma's contact popped up showing the profile picture. My sister was holding the phone in a selfie position and appa's arm was resting on amma's shoulder and my arm was on Jo's shoulder. We were grinning, showing our bright teeth as she clicked the picture.

Then I saw the picture which she just recently sent me. Once I saw that picture which she sent to my potential mother-in-law, I was shocked and thrilled at the same time.

In that picture, I was wearing a red Kanjivaram saree at one of my brother's marriages. I told her that I wasn't at all comfortable wearing a saree but she ignored me as usual and made me wear that. I look a little creepy in that picture.

How can anyone say that she/ he liked me after seeing this picture for the first time?

That surprised me the most.

While daydreaming, I hear my mom calling me out for lunch, again.

Whatever happening was next, for me food is always first. So I walked towards my door and opened it, once I got out, I closed the door silently behind me. If I'd shut the door with a noisy thud then I'd have to say goodbye to amma's wonderful mouth-watering foods for a minimum of two days. As I said appa's very strict.

Once I got to the dining room amma, appa and Jo were already seated at the dining table and waiting for me to arrive because in our house we won't eat until the all family member sit in their seats.

We all sat in silence as we started eating what amma placed on our plates. While eating I glance at appa whether he was happy or angry about this meeting with my "potential husband" and his family. He was just simply eating as usual. To my surprise, amma didn't tell him the main thing, yet.

"How's your college's going?" he asked as his pretty serious thought.

"Fine, pa," I said making eye contact with him that'll show him that I was promised.

Again, the silence invaded our dining room.

"We got a marriage proposal for our Anu from Sammy's friend," Amma said to appa, as his eyes go wide and his hand rested on the table of amma's sudden marriage topic of mine.

I knew he'd support me if I told him that I don't want to be married, at least, not yet.

He looked at her for a moment as if he was concerned about what she'd just said.

"But she's still a child. She's not even completed her bachelor's. You know that. She still got time to get married." He ordered her more than he said or asked her permission.

After hearing appa's decision all of a sudden I felt relief in my heart. I can continue my master's, then. And I can still have time to find my true love.

I smiled a smile that nobody can see.

"But I'd already give my words to that guy's mom. I'd already invited them to our house for dinner. Like a family date."

    What?