chapter fourteen P2

ARJUN SMITHI woke up getting a call from Johana. She said she has to talk immediately so she asked me to come to meet her at the restaurant. We could meet in her office but when I put myself in her place that was impossible to risk her wedding life. I'd only seen Mr. Lee once and I can say that he was a good businessman but a terrible boyfriend.

 I saw her sitting at the corner of the restaurant looking impatient, tapping her feet and twisting her fingers, and biting her lower lip as if she was nervous. I walked towards her table, sat across from her before she'd offer. I don't like being offered. 

 "What's the matter? Why you called me here this impatiently?" I snapped. "You asked me to tell you who was behind that incident on my engagement night, remember?" she said. 

 I nodded. 

 I want to know who did this. I was happy, to be honest, but I didn't show her my real expression. I put on my business mask as usual. "If I said who was that you should not interfere in my life ever again!" she said. 

 "I promise." 

 "Okay, fine." She took a deep breath. I leaned forward eagerly waiting to know the name of the person who did this tragedy in my life. "

Mrs. Smith." "What? Who? My mom," I was totally surprised by her answer. Why would she do that? She has no excuses to make her own child's life miserable. She was lying. She must be lying. How can any mom make their child's life miserable?

 "You're lying, right? You must be paid for lying about my mother to divide our family. Who's telling to do this? Okay, okay, okay..." I inhaled. "I'll pay you two times this. Say who the real culprit was. Otherwise, I'm gonna call Mr. Lee and going to make your life a living hell, now!" I shouted. The waiters and the people around us saw us disgustedly. I didn't mind them. 

 "No! No one's compelling me to give you wrong information's and nobody has anything to do with your life but your mother. You knew she hates me while... we were... dating. As I said the other day I didn't feel the spark between us. And once I left you I was running out of money to pay my debts. And then one day I saw your mother waiting for me in front of my house with her handbag. I was surprised, not in a good way though. I started wondering why and what she was doing here? I walked to her and asked her if she needs any help, she twisted her mouth and looked away. I was embarrassed. I didn't invite her in because she didn't seem like she'd love to, so I'd let her be. She then asked about our photos we took while we were dating and being close. I'd no idea why she needs that. Even if she needs that she'd ask you and why she asked that to me?" She paused to take a sip of her lemonade. 

 "I said I won't give anything that related to...us because we weren't together after all and I felt she was asking it for some creepy things. I told her I'd never do that. But when she says she'd pay me for that, I thought about my debts and my rents, those are the things that come and goes in front of my eyes. She told me to never say these things to anyone especially to you. I don't know why she did but I'm sure she has no right reasons for that. Believe me, who did that was no one but your lovable mom who was supposed to love you and let you live your life." My face burned with red, rage. If I'd gun in my hands I'd shot every person who was sitting near me.

 I kept my gaze at her to see if she was lying or truly speaking. But I couldn't find any expression that'll say that was all lie. I couldn't believe it. I was being lied my mom, who I'd believed with my life. But how could she do that? Why did she do that? What might be the reason behind that? I stood like someone put a bonfire under my chair and threw the flower pot to the floor and watched it shattered into thousands of pieces. I gave her a raged look as she gave me that innocent little girl look and walked away from there. 

 Once I returned to my house I saw Charles hiding behind his car and realized that they haven't finished playing hide and seek. You've got an unfinished job! My mind grumbled and walked into the house and started searching for mom. I thought she must be in the kitchen or dining table but instead, I'd found Alice was hiding under the dining table and Adam was hiding inside the kitchen cupboard as Anu was trying to seek them. 

 Without wasting any further time, I went straight to her room without a knock; rage filled the eyes and found her reading the magazine on her bed. She didn't notice my presence. I could still knock on the door and pretend what I'd heard from Johana never happened. I saw her face reading the book with an innocent smile on her face like she got the perfect remedy to make her skin glow. 

 I was just a foot or two away from her. I can still go inside and ask her with a raging voice. But still, something was opposing me to do what I was going to do.     When I took a step forward she jerked and put her hand to her chest as if she was shocked at me there in the middle of the day. "Oh my! Arjun, what are you doing here? Did I teach you manners?" she tilted her head as if she was waiting for her answers but I didn't open my mouth. I know if I said something wrong I couldn't handle that pain. 

 "Knock..." 

 "You did this to me?"

 "What?" she asked guessing what I just mentioned? 

 "You did this to me," I repeated, this time I didn't ask I said. 

 "What I did to you?" she forced a smile to hide her nervousness when you get caught. 

 "Everything! Everything! From the day you gave birth to me. You made me crawl, speak, walk, dance, sing, smile, laugh, cry, everything. Now, this shit about me in those newspapers. You did everything. Why you did this to me? Did I ask you to do this? From the day I'd born you did everything to me and only me why? Did I ask you to make me the CEO of dad's company? Did I ask you to marry a girl that didn't even know? Why always me, mom? What about Rahul and Venkat? If I asked about him you'd say Rahul had already started his own business and Venkat, he was still a child and studying, he'll be a doctor one day." I paused to take a deep breath. 

"Whenever you asked me about my goal in my life? NO. Never! Now, say you never went to Johana's house?" She went silent her jaw tightened and her hand clasped the book tighter as if she was showing her angriness to the book. 

 "You never gave her money for photos?"