chapter seven

Seven

ANUSHIYA SMITH

It's been two days since we landed in the US and today I was going to welcome my mother and father-in-law. I was so excited to see them. When I heard her voice in our engagement she seemed a nice and sweet woman.

Arjun was busy with his work if he'll go out in the morning for work and he'll come back home after the sky gets darker. I didn't have anything to say about that. That was his work and that was his priority too. If I was being honest with myself I was missing him lately.

Whenever he came back from work I was eagerly waiting for him to spend some time with me like talking about something like today I went here or I ate this in lunch and I liked or hated it or I went out with my friends or my friend was funny and he told me this silly joke which we were all laughing until our stomach started to ache, anything, something like that just anything. I just need a regular couple's time, like my appa share his day with us and amma. I just needed to hear his voice, that's all that I want. But when he came back from work he went to our room and never come back until the sunrises the next day.

Adam was getting the worst nightmares. Whenever I was trying to sleep he'll murmur this, "HELP ME, HELP ME," then I put my hands on his chest and tap slowly to make him come back to normal and go to a peaceful sleep. Adam and I play games on his iPad when after he came back from his school. Spending time with him makes me a child, again.

Except for that one breakfast I cooked for Arjun, Alice didn't let me cook in her kitchen because if I started cooking that may lead her to become jobless. She scolded me for that as I laughed. I told her that I wasn't a good cook as you that makes her laugh. I told her that I'm not at all good with American foods and serve me Indian and pleaded with her to take this as a request. And also I taught her some of my favorite and basic Indian dishes like idli, dosa, Chettinad chicken. When I said chicken her eyes gave me that surprised look. I asked her why and she told me that, "Do Indians eat Non-veg at all. I thought India has the highest vegetarian rate." She said that right but India is also the second-largest population in the whole world. We'd become good friends in the past two days. She told me about her son who was studying junior in high school. I was surprised I thought she'd have a baby, not a teenager.

"What? Did you just say your son is a teenager?" I asked Alice, confused. How can that even possible? She looks very, very young and she's saying that her son was a teenager. I thought she was kidding me.

"Yes? Didn't I?"

"But you look younger than having a teenage son."

"Don't I look like thirty?" she asked casually and happy someone told her that she's younger than she looks. I know how that feels. My mom gave that smile whenever someone tried to impress her in this "you look young, is she's your sister?' they always mention to us that we both were sisters and nobody believes that we are mother and daughter.

"No"

"Well, I'm 35 now." She laughed like she just shared the secret that she shouldn't.

"Is it a love story, then?"

"Yeah, it's a long story."

"Then say. I was dying to know about you" I pouted.

She looked at me for a second.

"You're my one and only friend here." I pleaded.

"Ok, fine. Don't make that face" she rolled her eyes.

I giggled.

I jumped on the kitchen counter as I tried to sit. Once I sat on the counter, she took an apple from the refrigerator, washed it, and cut it into pieces. She handed over me a piece and she bit one in her hand.