chapter eight

Eight

ANUSHIYA SMITH

"Anu, come over here," Adam shouted from near the swimming pool to join him.

I walked to the swimming pool and kneeled beside him where Adam was floating with his floating tube. "Adam, don't judge me. Promise?" he nodded. "I don't know how to swim." He looked at me surprised like you're way older than me and still you don't know how to swim? But that was the fact. We can't change the fact.

"Really, me too, then come and just float with me, all you wanted to do was put your swimsuit and wear this float tube, that's it," he suggested. But what I can say.

"Maybe next time, Adam."

I saw Charles and Arjun sitting on the balcony, laughing, from the corner of my eyes. I don't know what they were talking about and why they were laughing because while laughing Charles was looking down at us. Is this some kind of joke Arjun was telling about me? Or Adam? Or is it about me?

I turned my feet and sat on the Chaise lounge chair with my book under the pool umbrella where Arjun or Charles can't see me from the balcony.

I'd changed a lot after getting married to Arjun. Nobody would believe that I didn't call or talked to my family in India for the past two weeks. There were some things that he wasn't ready to share with me and that was fine as long as that wasn't too big of a problem. But one thing I've had a complaint to god was, that Arjun and I weren't spending much time together and didn't even try to get to know each other.

The other day when he ran to get water for me was so gentle of him. And that was the one second I realized that I'd do whatever for him and he's such a great human. And that moment I saw his child in him, the innocence in his face, and hurry in his heart to save me from choking.

I heard splashing sounds from the pool.

Adam was forced to beat his hand on water, splashing. He was playing with water.

So I tried to concentrate on the book in my hand. But I was wrong, he was drowning.

I ran and jumped into the water as water splashing on the side of the pool. I was also drowning as I said I don't know to swim. Once I got the balance in the water, I pull Adam into me and pushed him out of the water and he vomits the excess water his body took in.

 When I opened my eyes I was in my bed couldn't move, tired and messy. My hair was slightly wet. How long I'd passed out. My eyes were reddish and aching so badly. The only thing I can see was the ceiling just right in front of me, practically.

"Anu," A cute little pity voice called out. I turned my head to see Adam who was just lying beside me and staring at the ceiling as well.

"I'm so sorry. I was just trying to swim because I've been bullying by my classmates for using a floating tube while swimming. Whenever I call dad's office to ask dad to teach me or hire me a teacher to teach me to swim but his PA attends all his calls and always says 'Dad is busy in his meeting and he'll call you back later.' Uncle, Arjun, was always busy in either office or his friends. I thought what if I try by myself. So I threw away the floating tube and when I did that I couldn't balance, couldn't shout, waters were occupying my mouth, nose and my eyes were turning red. My hands were touching the water as if it was the floor which can stay still." He paused. "I'm sorry. I am, please wake up. Please don't die. Uncle Arjun would kill me." His voice was apologetic.

"I'm fine, Adam." I sounded tired.

"You awake!" he shouted as twitching around to see me. "How are you feeling? Can I call you uncle? Thank god, you are not dead. If you were uncle, Arjun would have been sent me with you to heaven"

"No, thanks," I said. "Why would you say that? So you want to swim without a floating tube?"

"Cause uncle was angrier than I should've seen him before. And yes I want to swim like a shark." He showed him all the teeth to shine. "Are you going to teach me?"

"Me?" I gave him a sarcastic smile. "You know why I was here in this bed now? Don't ya?" I said.

"Yeah, it's because of me. I'm so...sorry." his lips pouted as if he was about to cry. But I didn't mean that. I was just trying to be cool.

"Adam, I didn't mean that you did that to me. I just said you a better swimmer at your age. Look at me I still don't know how to swim. If I knew I could've taught you swimming before even you try by yourself."

"I know." He said still pouty face.

"C'mon gimme a hug."

We hugged.

"Tomorrow, I'll hire someone to teach you swimming. How about that?" I said.

"Great. You are so... sooo cool, Anu"

"You know if you need anything at all, where to find me, right?"

"I love you."