chapter nine

nine

ARJUN SMITH

Like we have in a deal I'll be teaching Adam swimming and in return, Anu has to attend a business party with me. The night was dark no stars like it might rain anytime now but the artificial lights were dangling everywhere. People were dancing according to the DJ's beats. But there was one special stage which was covered with a white cotton cloth and also that stage was in the middle of all the others which show that must be the main stage.

I and Anu, Charles and Anna, walked in together as in couples' style holding arms of our partner. We stopped and talked with our friends, investors, and some of our clients who were also invited just like us. While we were talking about our business-related topics Anu got to get bored. She didn't say that, though, I guessed that right, her eyes were slightly sleepy only we get when we were sleepy. "You should take her somewhere and spend time with her. Look at her how she feels uncomfortable." Charles said nodding at her.

"But we didn't see Mr. Lee. We are here for that. Don't we?" I said.

"Dude! Look at her. She is supposed to be your first priority since you get married. I and Anna are spending a lot more time trying to know each other. Do you believe if I said Tom Cruise is her hero?" He accused.

"Why not, he is handsome, smart_"

"I'm asking for that. What I was trying to say was have you ever asked her about her favorite hero or color or even foods?" He has a point. I didn't ask her anything.

"Okay, I'm going to ask her out," I said to him.

"Don't say just do it. The function was about to start. Get the hell out of here. I'll say you've got an emergency." He grinned.

"Thanks, dude"

I grabbed Anu's hand and when I was about to leave, the crowd around us started to clap as Mr. Lee entered the party area. "Too late," Charles muttered.

"I guess now I've to wait a little longer," I whispered as Mr. Lee took the mic in his hand.

"Yep"

Mr. Lee thanked his entire guest for coming to his party. And he has some more important to say. Then he said, "I don't like to say to people," People started to "ooo" him. "I'll show then I'll say," he winked at the crowd. Then people went with "Yeahhhh!" These peoples were unbelievable.

I just wanted to go out but here I was got stuck in the middle of this party nowhere to go. I saw Anu who'd no idea what was going on and why I was still holding her hand. Then I realized and freed her hand from my hold. She didn't notice anything she was just staring at the stage where Mr. Lee was talking. I heard no sound because my mind wasn't there I was only physically present and mentally totally absent.

Then Charles nudged me with his elbow. "What?" I groaned.

"Look,"

I stared at him where he was staring and found a couple who were disgustingly feeding their partner's drinks. "Yuck,"

He sighed in disbelief. "Not that. That!" This time he pointed to the stage.

What?

I couldn't believe my own eyes. What the hell was happening here?

"Dude, what the hell she's doing here?" he asked pointing at Johana who was ascending the stairs which lead to the main stage where Mr. Lee was standing. And why in the hell she was blindfolded? Behind her, two girls were leading her way.

I didn't answer anything because there was no answer only the same questions as he has. I and Charles were looking at the stage for any clue and then I was stunned when I realize what was going to happen.

Mr. Lee kneeled, all of a suddenly raised bouquet in his hand, holding it for the blind-folded Johana who obviously couldn't see. Her friends or even lady bodyguard untied her fold. He scrubbed her eyes as if she doesn't know anything that was happening. She innocently exclaimed her hands to his mouth, his eyes about to fill with water. "My dear, Jo," Mr. Lee whispered. Johana nodded as if she was surprised and couldn't speak. "Will you marry me?" He asked as she took that bouquet from his hand and said, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" she said excitedly. Was that even a question? She might have thought, I guessed.

The crowd started to cheer them. Shouting "Congratulations," and opening the champagne, starting to dance. When the crowd was coming back to normal and enjoying their drinks and dances. He was still kneeled and tucked his hands into his pocket and took a red velvet box and opened it and asked her again the same question. "Will you marry me?" he said. I clenched how many times he'd ask the same question, again and again.

That diamond might have dazzling and attracted her because without saying "Yes," again she just took that ring from him and put it on her finger, and scrutinized it.

Then as usual every couple in the US would do they hugged and kissed each other and raised their champagne to the soon-to-be husband and wife.

"I'm confused," I said to Charles who was confused as me.

"Yeah, me too," he said.

A few minutes later, Mr. Lee and Johana walked towards us as she showing her engagement ring people to see. Mr. Lee put his business face as Johana put her innocent face as always. Mr. Lee and I shook hands. Johana introduces us to him. "This is Mr. Arjun Smith and this is his friend Mr. Charles Dickinson."

We just nodded and pretend to be cool and professional.

After some of our business talks and small laughs, he was gone. He didn't look like the person I used to hear about him. He was totally innocent and very kind-hearted. Then I realized he couldn't do such a thing to me even in his dreams because we can see people lie but their eyes can't. His eyes were pure as gold. Somebody was using his name to get their revenge on me.

The news about me was now okay, not like great-okay but okay. But still, my company was facing a loss. And I didn't do anything about that. Oh, I just did one this but that thing was also no use I blew it off too, in my reception. My life was kept laughing at me.

I saw Mr. Lee took his phone and went aside leaving Johana. I took this moment as an opportunity.

"I'm going to go_" Charles cut me off.

"Yes, dude. Just get the hell out of here." He said, encouragingly.

"No," I frowned. "I'm going to talk to Johana in private and ask her who leaked that picture."

"But I think this isn't the right time to do it," he said staring at Johana who was laughing as her friend kept silent.

"I can't wait any longer to have a good chance like this. I've to use the wind when it breezes in our side, dude." I said.

"Fine, what about Anu?" He asked nodding at Anu who was holding the glass of wine pretending she was drinking like the other day I told her to act like that. She was a fast learner. I'd praise that.

"Where's Anna?" I said.

"She must be with her friends." He said as searching her in 360 degrees.

"Great!" I exclaimed.

"You think Anu will be comfortable if you let her leave in the unfamiliar place and friends? She might feel a little awkward and unsure of herself." He advised. He was right. She wasn't that easy-friendly or instant-friendly type even it took time to talk with me and see my face. I couldn't leave her alone but at the same time, I've to know about who did that and why they did that?