chapter 4

FOUR

ARJUN SMITH

"Yes, appa, I'll give my hand in marriage." She said as meeting my eyes. What's the use? You didn't use this to cancel this. I wasn't shocked after all. I might be if she canceled this.

Well... I grinned even though that wasn't my character and I also couldn't help it.

"Are you okay, bro?" Charles asked when he saw me grinning out of place.

"Yeah, it's just... Never mind,"

"Then, what are we waiting for? Let's change the ring." Dad said full of excitement because his second son was getting engaged in an arranged marriage.

He took a red velvet box from one of his coat pockets and handed over me the engagement ring which was sparkling. I walked towards her as she held her breath, eyes to the floor, biting her inner lips. When I stood close by her she placed her hand in mine as I put in her finger. I wouldn't say that she wasn't refusing at first.

That's all we were engaged.

I gave her a devilish smile when she saw her ring-hand and me without blinking.

Our family started clapping around us. I stood beside her and smiled at her and expecting her to smile at me back but when she didn't return that makes me clench my teeth in anger. I was sure that she can hear the sound of my teeth crashing inside my mouth.

ANUSHIYA VISHWANATH

Then, we ate dinner together. Our parents talked about some politics in India. They talked, laughed, and enjoyed the occasion. I was glad to see my family's happy smile. That was what I want. On the other hand, I didn't even see his face while eating. When I lifted my head and looked at him. The moment he caught me, I was choked and Jo gave me a cup of water. When I placed the cup on the table he gave me that same devilish smile that he gave after changing the ring.

We walked them to the door. He opened the car door for his mom and looked at me I ducked my head because I don't want to show him that I was blushed. He closed the door and leaned into the window and nodded. Then looked at me and nodded. I looked away pretending that he didn't exist at all.

He walked towards me hands to his pant pocket, head straight. He signaled his eyes to the side. I didn't understand what he was doing until Jo scolded me. "Pappu! He's saying that "One sec"." she said, rolling her eyes.

"Again?"

Once we were alone in the darkness of our front yard he took out his hand from his pocket and handed over me a card. A visiting card!

"A visiting card?" My voice was almost sounded like shouting.

Without any other word, I took it from him as starring at the floor to hide my shyness.

Then he turned his eel and hopped in the car and drove away. I stared at the car as it was fading away in the darkness.

"So tell me, what's the craziest thing that happened in your life?" I asked my friend, Arjun through the phone. It was confusing when you know two different people with the same name.

"I was the photographer at my ex's wedding." I started laughing, as well. "Speaking of which, you got better than mine?"

"I just got back from college with Holi colors on my uniform and all over my face. And guess what? I'm engaged and will be married in a week. Isn't that crazy?" I said.

He was silent for a moment.

"Please say me this is a prank. How can that even possible. You are kidding, right?" he asked, nervously.

"No, I was serious. You didn't believe me? Wait." I said and hung up the call. I took a selfie of my engagement ring and what's apped him.

Then he dialed again, shouting, "No way, you're engaged!"

"That's what I said."

While talking to him my phone beeped and when I saw it I was getting another call. "Hey, one sec I was getting a call from an unknown number, can I just call you later?" Without waiting for his answers I hung up and attend that call.

"Hello?" I said, with my normal tone.

The other side of the phone was silent, only the sound of breathing.

When, whoever on the other side of the phone, didn't respond, I thought of giving it one more chance. "Hello? Is anybody there?"

But still only the sound of breathing, I know someone was on there and breathing and still they weren't talking. I didn't know why.

    "Helloooo?" I waited for a second. "Sorry, wrong number," I said politely and hung up that call.