Chapter 26

Pain slowly crept into Farren's limbs now fear and the adrenaline was seeping out of her like sand through an hourglass. She slumped heavily into Aragorn chest, closing her eyes against the sunlight that now bathed the plain in restoring light, illuminating the mass of bodies around them.

Aragorn was speaking to Gandalf and Theoden, his chest vibrating with his deep voice. The warmth of his arms around her and his baritone voice lulled her towards sleep. "Farren" the voice was sharp, slicing through the mellow haze of Farren's mind.

She felt Aragorn tense behind her, his hand gripping her causing her head to loll to the side. He whispered her name urgently in her ear. With great effort, Farren pried her eyes open to meet the worried gaze of Eomer who was sat atop his horse in front of Arod. She smiled at him weakly, her vision watery through the pain of her leg that was gently dripping scarlet onto the mud at Arod's hooves.

"I can take her back to Helms Deep" Eomer offered, but Theoden cut him off.

"I need you and Aragorn with me for a while longer, we have much to discuss."

"She needs help. Her injuries from yesterday have hardly healed and her leg needs seeing too or she'll lose it" Eomer argued back.

A sharp reply sounded from behind them, Farren couldn't distinguish the person's voice, only that it was male. Aragorn's hands suddenly pulled her legs to him carefully, holding her in his arms before lowering her off Arod into another pair of arms.

Long blonde hair tickled Farren's face as she gazed up at Legolas, a smile on her lips, her mind half-delirious again. Legolas turned away, back towards Helms Deep. "I'm ok" Farren whispered to him but he ignored her, his shoulders tight with anger and stress.

Farren felt herself blush as they passed by the men of Rohan who turned to smile at them as they went by, a tiny part of her wilted at looking so helpless, so weak. Heat flooded her cheeks in embarrassment.

"Ya not weak lassie" Gimli's voice said from beside them as they entered the room Farren had woken up in the day before. Farren couldn't quite meet Gimli's eyes, although his words made her feel slightly better.

"Leave us Gimli. I have to speak to Farren alone" Legolas' voice was painfully neutral, no sign of any fear, joy, anger or even relief on his features. It was the face Farren had seen him wear when he stood beside his father as they took Thorin captive, all those years ago.

He set Farren on the bed, her back resting against the wall so she could sit up properly. Gimli made a sound of half protest, half warning but Legolas silence him with a look. The dwarf sighed heavily, shaking his head at the two of them, "On your head be it, elf" was all he said before shuffling out of the room, closing the door firmly behind him.

Legolas, said nothing, despite his previous statement he only set about cleaning Farren's leg, smearing it with the same ointment that Farren knew had been placed in her back the previous time she had been in this room. She was sure it had been Legolas who had done that as well.

Farren remained quiet also, the only sound was the occasional hiss of pain the escaped Farren. She watched Legolas carefully as he worked, his beautiful face still completely blank. He looked battered. Well except for his hair, how he managed to keep his hair looking perfect through a battle, Farren didn't know. There wasn't a single hair out of place. Unlike with Farren's own midnight hair where several whisps had escaped her ponytail and curled around her face.

He finished binding her leg with bandages in silence, his hand lingering on her calf before his eyes met hers. Anger mixed with pain burned in them now, a droplet of blood trickled into his left eyes causing him to blink and turn away. Farren leant forward, tilting his chin towards her, she motioned silently for him to sit still, her own cooler fingers brushing over his warmer ones as she removed the ointment and bandages from his fingers.