Chapter 4

"We shall rest here tonight" Aragorn stated looking up at Weathertop. Farren stayed behind Pippen as they climbed upwards, catching the hobbit one time as his bare feet slipped on the rocks, almost sending him tumbling backwards.

She had asked Bilbo once about bare feet, whether he ever thought of wearing shoes, even over the ice of Erebor or the sharp rocks of the Goblin King's mine. He had looked affronted and then lectured her about hobbit feet, their toughness but also from what she gathered, seemed to mark the pride of hobbits to always be barefooted. Also, no shoes would fit them.

The hobbits collapsed in an alcove on the cliff edge, it was exposed and windy but sheltered them from most of the elements. Most importantly it gave them a clear view of the surrounding countryside. They would see anyone approaching from a mile away, even in the dark. The only problem was that they couldn't light a fire or else they would also be seen from miles away.

Aragorn threw swords at each of the hobbits, they were small, almost daggers to her eyes. Her own sword remained strapped to her back, ready to draw. "Stay here," Aragorn said walking away. The hobbits looked at their swords, to Farren, to the swords again.

"Please" she added, hurrying after her brother.

Farren did not follow Aragorn northwards, instead, she took a path eastwards finding a tall tree, which she scaled with ease. Her back was pressed to the trunk as she looked over the surrounding plains. Her eyes searching for any sign of the black riders. They may be deep in the wild but the Nazgul would never stop hunting them.

The sun had set and the moon high in the sky. A squirrel raced up the branch, Farren had grown so accustomed to ambushes and tracking that the squirrel came and sat on her lap. It looked at her curiously, she was surprised, to say the least, she had always had a knack with wildlife, especially dogs and horses, but squirrels were cautious creatures, provoked into fleeing easily. She raised her hand slowly, muttering words in elvish. The squirrel sniffed her palm, before curling up in her palm, its bushy tail curling around her wrist.

Farren's chest hurt, trying to push the memory away, the certain elf who had taught her elvish. Aragorn had only managed to teach her basic elvish, simple phrases, coupled with how to speak to royalty before she had set off with Thorin. It was Legolas that had taught her fluency. Legolas had nurtured her gift with animals, teaching her how each creature responds to certain touches or movements. Legolas had been the second brother that she had grown so accustomed to. Whose departure had hurt her more than she would ever admit to Aragorn.

"Why did he leave? What happened to him to suddenly flee from us?" she asked the squirrel. It did not reply. It was a squirrel after all.

A light caught her attention. A flickering flame. Coming from Weathertop. She cursed their naivety, leaping to her feet scrambling down the tree. Not before she heard chilling screams and saw the black figure moving up towards the hobbits. Running swiftly through the trees, she reached the base, throwing herself up, climbing straight up instead of taking the long, steep path that they had taken in the later evening.

She reached the stamped-out fire. The hobbits were gone and from the sound of metal on metal, Aragorn had arrived before her. She drew her blade, racing to the centre. Aragorn was swinging his sword and torch at the Nazgul. One was making its way towards the hobbits while Aragorn was distracted. She leapt forward her blade catching its.

She began her dance, the dance of blades and death, desperately keeping the Nazgul away from the hobbits. She fought with every ounce of ferocity that she could muster, Frodo's screams filled her ears, now some of the Nazgul were on fire they began to retreat. "Epona!" Sam yelled, Farren left Aragorn to deal with the last wraith, she fell beside Frodo, grabbing the Nazgul blade from beside him.

"He's been stabbed by a Morgul blade" the blade disintegrated in her hands, burning her, she dropped it. Aragorn joined her next to Frodo.

"This is beyond my skill to heal. Even Epona cannot heal him" Aragorn grabbed Frodo, picking him up like a rag doll, 'He needs elvish medicine. Epona lead the way'

"We are six days from Rivendell" she warned quietly as she took the lead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N As promised here is the next chapter, I apologise for it being a little shorter than usual but the next chapter is longer, where we meet some elves...Legolas perhaps?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, it has important background setting for Farren's character later on as well as further establishing her relationship with the Hobbits and Aragorn.

I am trying to keep the update schedule pretty swift but school is definitely taking its toll make worse by this pandemic...hey ho, we will get through this! The next update will be on Wednesday afternoon (GMT).

Thank you so much for all the support of this book so far, all your comments have been so kind and inspiring. Thank you for leaving a vote as well, it means a lot!

Wren