Chapter 15

Farren was tracking Frodo, she had found the scuffle of the site between Boromir and Frodo, but neither was still there. She followed Frodo's frantic path upwards towards some ruins. Aragorn beside her, they were equally as good at tracking both worried for the ring bearer.

They found Frodo lying on his back panting. At Aragorn's voice, the hobbit flinched away from them. "It has taken Boromir."

"Where is the ring?" Aragorn demanded, Farren gasped Aragorn's name as her brother surged forward, she pulled at his arm.

"Stay away" Frodo yelled in fear.

"I swore to protect you"

"We both did" Farren agreed, Frodo didn't move as she approached but stopped a few feet away, crouching down to show him she meant no harm. He was still frightened by his encounter with Boromir.

"Can you protect me from yourself?" It was a good question, one that was posed to Aragorn. Frodo looked at Farren with trust in his eyes as he held the ring towards her. Aragorn froze looking at it but Farren only smiled sadly at the hobbit, backing away from the ring.

"Frodo. I have had as much experience with that ring as you. I helped Bilbo use it and hide it. Even carried it a few times. I have never felt so cold. I do not want it. That is not my burden to bear." She whispered; Frodo gasped with relief throwing himself into her arms hugging her tightly. She stroked his head looking up at Aragorn who looked at them both. He crouched down in front of Frodo.

"Would you destroy it?"

Aragorn reached for the Ring in Frodo's hand, his own hovering inches above it. Farren held her breath, she didn't want to fight Aragorn, but she would if it meant protecting Frodo. They had fought over the years, as all siblings did, but she always hated how it made her feel afterwards. His trance broke as he curled Frodo's hand over the ring, 'I would have gone with you to the end. We both would have' he looked up at her briefly. 'Into the very fires of Mordor'

"I know" Frodo looked at them both now, Aragorn holding his arm around Farren's waist, "Look after the others. Especially, Sam, he will not understand"

A blue gleam caught Farren's eye, she backed away, pulling her sword over her shoulder from its sheath. Frodo looked down at his glowing blade. Farren ran round the corner to see Uruk-hai running up towards them. "Run" Aragorn was telling Frodo.

Aragorn was beside her, Farren nodded. They would buy Frodo as much time as possible. She parried the Uruk-hai's blades, Aragorn retreated up the stairs of the ruins while Farren was pushed back towards their camp. "FIND THE HALFLINGS" their leader yelled.

Farren was surrounded, cutting her way through the battle when an arrow whizzed by her. Legolas and Gimli came into view, "Aragorn, Farren go!" Legolas yelled. He grabbed her arm, "Don't die" he half pleaded with her.

Farren ran back towards the camp. Where Aragorn had gone, she knew not. Her only aim was to find Merry, Pippen and Sam. The Uruk-hai did not know which halfling was to be taken.

She had to fight her way through, the monsters still ran through the forest. There were too many of them to stop fully. Blood already dripped across her forehead from a cut above her left eye. She wasn't able to track any of the hobbits in this carnage, any tracks were covered by the Uruk-hai. She couldn't see any of the fellowship only the monsters as she fought her way towards the water.

A horn sounded through the trees. The horn of Gondor. Boromir. Farren ignored the rest of the Uruk-hai that were not in her way as the horn continued to blow frantically.

Farren found a glade, catching sight of the leader of the Uruk-hai, with a white hand on his face. He was holding a bow. Below she could see Boromir with three arrows in him. Farren screamed loudly in despair as she watched the monster pick up Merry and Pippen running away with them. She ran faster than she had ever run before, Boromir was knelt on the ground, about to be shot in the neck when Aragorn tackled him from the side. Farren trusted her brother to kill the beast throwing herself next to Boromir. The arrows were embedded deep, she reached for her pouch that Galadriel had given her, strapped to her belt, but Boromir's bloody hands held hers. He looked up at her shaking his head.