Chapter 35

Cool hands were on her forehead when Farren broke the surface of consciousness, she was aware of her body, the soft sheets all around her, the gentle breeze on her face but her eyelid were still heavy. She could feel a presence beside her, their weight pressed against her hips.

"Anything?" Aragorn's voice said from her right.

"Nothing" Legolas replied, his voice sounded so cracked and broken that Farren wanted to wrap her arms around him and never let go. No one should sound as broken as he did, not when if she could just open her dammed eyes she could relive his pain.

"Gimli and the hobbits have given up Legolas... maybe you should too" Aragorn's voice was rough as if he was forcing the words out of his throat. The weight at her side disappeared and the sound of a fist collide with a jaw sounded followed by a thump as a body collided with a wall.

"Don't! Don't you dare say that. I don't care if you are king!" Legolas' voice was dangerous, anger controlling his tongue more than anything else, "How can you say that? She is your sister."

"You think I want her to be like this? That I want her to be in a coma so deep that it will outlast my lifetime and the only thing I remember of my sister is her body in your arms!" Aragorn spat back angrily.

"Leave." Legolas said and his voice was now so tired that Farren knew that Aragorn's must also mirror that same weariness.

A hand entwined with hers, whispers in elvish ghosting over her. Footsteps sounded again, but these were lighter than Aragorn's. Farren could feel a second presence, confirmed as a small hand touched her free hand. "Do you think she will wake up before the coronation?" Frodo asked, his voice sounded different rom the last time she had heard it. Joy filled her heart as well as pride at the young hobbit.

"Maybe you should kiss her?" Frodo continued, a beat and then Frodo tumbled into a stuttering explanation, "Well... you know... the dagger and Gandalf and what Elrond said... I'll just leave." He finished sadly trotting away, the sound of a door closing following him.

A sift sigh sent shivers ghosting down her spine as Farren felt Legolas lean closer, "Maybe, just maybe," his soft lips touch hers, gentle, loving. A second passed as Farren felt new strength follow through her. Her eyes opened, everything blurry for a few beats until coming into focus. Farren took in the white room, marble indicating that they were in Gondor, Legolas had his head bowed, eyes closed as tears dripped onto her chest.

Farren raised her hand to caress his face, "Please don't cry for me Legolas". The elf froze, his eyes spanning open to stare unseeingly at the covers, Farren pulled his head up to face her. His sky blue eyes had dark rims around them but a light was slowly filling them, like the sun spilling across the land as it crests over the mountains at dawn, filling the world with light.

"You're awake!" he gasped, shaking so hard that the bed was also shaking. Farren smiled trying to pull herself into a sitting position only for the elf to panic and try to push her down again but one long look had him reluctantly helping her sit up.

She was now supported by his hands on her waist, twisted slightly to face her but his feet still on the ground, not wanting to put any pressure on her body. Farren opened her mouth to speak but it felt like something was blocking it, "Farren? What wrong?" Legolas panicked further (if that was physically possible) as tears began trickle down her cheek, dripping onto the covers to mingle with Legolas'.

"I never got to tell you," she gripped his hands in hers, "I love you, Legolas."

Legolas shudders before his lips collided with hers, they were still gentle but had a hint of desperation to them as he held her tightly. Farren kissed back equally as desperate to feel him, they held each other tightly as if letting go, even just a fraction, would cause them to fall into the abyss.