Chapter 27

Aragorn's hands rested loosely on either side of her as they crested the ridge overlooking Isengard. The once-grand tower now lay in a pool of water and shattered stone. Farren could see the ents milling around the water's edge, the wind dancing through their leaves. But even the sound of songbirds and the warming rubble of their voices couldn't block the chill Farren felt in her bones from the tower that still stood. The tower Saruman hid in, like a cowardly snake caught in its nest.

Arod snorted, his hooves thumping nervously on the dry grass, a sweep of her hand calmed Arod but others around them struggled to calm their horses. Eomer who sat to her right was nearly thrown off from his mounts back. It wasn't until Farren murmured a gentle hush to the animals that they calmed, trotting towards the black pillar that rose into the sky, like the ram of some slowly drowning beast that haunts the world beneath the ground.

They descended into the edge of Fangorn Forrest, coming out at the base of the wall surrounding Isengard. Merry voices hummed just behind the trees as they approached and Farren's heart soared as she recognised the voices.

As the two hobbits came into view, Merry wobbly got to his feet, "Welcome my Lords, to Isengard" he shouted happily, cup securely in hand, the sound of sloshing liquid could be heard from within.

"You little rascals!" Gimli shouted as Pippen raised his pipe to the siblings who both smiled at him, Farren feeling the tension in her brother's body relax as he saw the two hobbits safe and well cared for, "A merry hunt you led us on, only to find you feasting and...and smoking!"

Both hobbits looked extremely pleased with themselves as they regarded the small party, "We are sitting on a field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts" Merry looked at Gimli a smug smile splitting his face, "The salted pork is particularly good".

Farren ignored Gimli's murmurs as she gracefully slid off Arod onto the ground making her way towards the hobbits, who smiled brightly at her. "Come here you little rascals" she laughed, a true smile splitting her face for the first time in days.

The two young hobbits immediately leapt off the wall yelling her name seconds before barrelling into her arms, she crouched down to embrace them both close to her chest. She paid little attention to Merry who spoke to Gandalf over her shoulder but instead gazed at Pippen looking him over carefully for any signs of injury. It may have been her imagination, or did Pippen seem taller?

Before she could ask, Gandalf called her name as they swiftly made towards the tower. Farren gracefully swung herself back up onto Arod, after Merry climb up in front of one of the Rohirrim, while Pippen sat with Eomer.

She glanced over to see that Merry was a little uncomfortable riding with an unknown warrior that had accompanied them. She clicked her tinge at the horse, causing it to trot over to her and Aragorn, much to the surprise of its rider. "Here, keep Conrad safe for me Merry" she smiled at him, Pulling Conrad the Squirrel from her open pouch at her side, the squirrel gave her a look before scampering over her outstretched arm and around Merry's shoulders. The hobbit giggled gleefully looking far more comfortable as he gently petted Conrad's tiny head.

"That squirrel is as stubborn as you are" Aragorn chuckled, following Gandalf through the mirky water that splashed against the bottom of their heels. Farren shrugged, her attention now looking up at the dark tower, the same chill now causing her to shiver slightly.

Saruman walked into view at the top of the tower, his smooth voice floating down to them, winding around them in a warm, lethal embrace. Farren kept a hand on Legolas' dagger, her sword would be too obvious, still strapped to her back. She felt Aragorn's hand, which was concealed by her body also close around the handle of his blade.