Chapter 1

Farren's POV (60 years after the prologue)

Farren sat on the ground, watching the flames tumble onto each other in the wind. The moon was slowly descending towards the horizon, and Aragorn still had not returned. She sighed, fingering a small, curved dagger, whose scabbard was bound to her hip. It was an elven blade, pressed hurriedly into her hands by Legolas 45 years ago. His blue eyes had been conflicted, his face drawn and shadowed like he hadn't slept in days. Aragorn had stood beside her equally bewildered at the elf's actions. Legolas had tried to say something to her but had ended up shrugging his shoulders before hurrying off into the woods.

She hadn't slept for two days after his departure. Only Aragorn had noticed her lack of sleep, her nightly walks, flipping the elven blade between her fingers staring at the moon. Legolas' departure had hurt her, more deeply than she wanted to admit. Their friendship had started when she had stumbled into Mirkwood with the Company of Thorin Oakenshield. Since she had brought him to Aragorn, he hadn't left their side in 15 years. While she grew older with the years her ageing did not show on her features, she still looked 17, while Aragorn barely looked 25. They were some of the few remaining Dunedain, blessed with long life. Legolas in turn had looked to grow younger, away from his palace and princely responsibilities.

The distant crunch of leaves drew her attention, 'Did Arwen keep you all night?' she said smugly. Arms circled around her waist, crushing her to a chest, picking her up. Farren laughed as Aragorn began to tickle her. 'Stop Ari, please' she begged between giggles; the deep rumble of Aragorn's laughed hummed against her back.

'Jealous Ren?' was his equally smug reply. She wriggled out of his arms, back to her bedspread. She smiled back at her brother who gracefully deposited himself of his own bedroll.

'Of course not! You're practically married?' her words sparked sadness in her brother, his shoulders slumped. 'Lord Elrond would not approve of your words. We may have long lives Farren, but we are still mortal. I would not wish her to spend the rest of her immortal life mourning me instead of living with another who can keep her happy'

'But you love her' Farren said quietly, she had seen the way he looked at Arwen, like a man raised in shadows looks at the stars. Aragorn did not reply to her, instead he lay back looking up at the stars. 'What is it like to love someone the way you love Arwen?' it was times like this that made Farren realise that the 20 years that Aragorn had on her, gave him more experience in matters beyond her comprehension. Aragorn looked at her his head resting against his pack, he was watching her carefully.

They were siblings, they had always been together, facing the world together, but the look that Aragorn was giving her was one of a weary king. In the end, he was the one whose destiny shouldered the crown of Gondor, not her.

'It is hard to describe' he said finally, 'It's like... for your whole life you are surrounded by a cacophony of noise. But with them, everything falls silent. I can breathe, I can think. I feel free, not crushed by the weight of responsibility' Farren tipped her head to the side, 'You are still young Farren'

'I'm as old as you were when you met Arwen'

'But you are my little sister.' He replied so firmly that it sounded like an answer, even though it wasn't.

'No man deserves you'

'You can't protect me forever Aragorn. Middle Earth is changing' she was referring to the whispers they had heard in the wild. Rumours of the One Ring. In truth, she knew the ring had been found 60 years ago and was with Bilbo in the Shire.

'She is right' an old voice said from the shadows. Both siblings were on their feet in an instant, Aragorn placing himself in front of Farren. The figure stepped into the firelight.

'Gandalf' Farren cried, running past Gandalf to throw her arms around the wizard. Aragorn smiled at the wizard, helping him onto his own bedroll. He joined Farren on hers, as they both watched the wizard light his pipe meticulously. 'I need you to do something for me'. The siblings exchanged a silent look nodding at him to continue.

'The One Ring has been found. And it is on the move'

'Who is the carrier?' Aragorn asked,

'A hobbit, Frodo Baggins' Aragorn looked troubled he questioned Gandalf on his wisdom at choosing a Hobbit for the task. Gandalf only smiled, 'Aragorn you should ask your sister about the bravery of hobbits'

Farren smiled, 'Bilbo had one of the bravest hearts I've ever seen'. Gandalf acknowledges her with a warm smile.

'He is pursued by Ringwraiths, the Nazgul' Aragorn cursed aloud and Farren couldn't help but agree with him. The Nazgul were dangerous, their weapons even more so.
'I need you two to help him to Rivendell. He should arrive at Bree at the Prancing Pony by tomorrow nightfall. The Ringwraiths will catch up at Bree and they won't stand a chance without you.'
When Farren asked where Gandalf was going the wizard climbed to his feet, 'I must visit Saruman' he began to walk off before stopping and turning back towards them, 'He will call himself Underhill. I will meet you on the road to Rivendell'

Without another word he mounted a horse and glopped off. Farren grabbed her belongings, throwing on her pack. 'We must hurry if we are to reach Bree before them' Aragorn nodded in agreement. They began to run towards the town. 'Let us hope that Frodo trusts us'

Her finger slid the blade into its sheath.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Hello, thank you all for your lovely comments on the first chapter posted, I'm so excited to share this story with you!

I hope you enjoy this first real chapter. The next update will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday!

If you enjoy feel free to drop a vote or comment. Have a wonderful day everyone!

Wren