Chapter 13

Haldir led them through the night, his gaze often flickering to Farren, even as they entered Lothlorien. "You are an interesting riddle, Farren daughter of Arathorn" he spoke quietly so no one would hear them.

"I am a ranger, nothing else."

"You are far more than that. You and your brother both are" he was looking at her now.

"I turned from that path long ago, Haldir. That is not who I am"

"And yet your role in the fellowship says otherwise. They each look to you as a figure of guidance, support, loyalty and most of all hope. Even love". His gaze landed on Aragorn who was walking next to Legolas, both of whom were watching Haldir and Farren with suspicion. "She will show you"

He led them up a huge tree by a silver staircase that twisted around it. At the top, they gathered as a company looking up the stairs as light flooded towards them. Aragorn bowed his head, touching it out of respect or pain Farren did not know.

"The enemy knows you have entered here," Celeborn said "What hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Nine there are here and yet ten set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is, Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him."

Galadriel gaze fell upon Aragorn's, "Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land. He has fallen into shadow" Aragorn nodded

"He was taken by both shadow and flame. A balrog of Mordoth" Legolas explained, his status as an elf prince, showing as he held himself like his father, but his voice held far more compassion. "For we went needlessly into the net of Moria"

"Needless were none of the deeds in Gandalf's life. We do not yet know his full purpose" Gimli groaned, "Do not let the emptiness of Kazadoom fill your heart, Gimli son of Gloin. For the world has grown full of peril and in all lands, love is now mingled with grief"

Near to her, Farren felt Boromir tremble as the Lady of Light spoke to him in his mind. He shook with barely concealed sobs, had she been close enough Farren would have reached out to comfort him but Celeborn's stare rooted her and Aragorn to the spot in the centre of the fellowship. "What now becomes of this fellowship?" he asked steadily, "Without Gandalf, hope is lost".

"Hope is never truly lost. Even in the darkest places." She shot back calmly.

Farren felt both elves gazes move to her and Aragorn, "The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the company is true, do not let your hearts be troubled, go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil." Farren saw Frodo flinch.

Farren sat apart from the rest of the fellowship, listening to the lament to Gandalf. She watched silently Aragorn and Boromir conversing, "I heard her voice inside my head. She spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor. She said to me even now there is hope left. But I cannot see it" Boromir finished hopelessly, "It is long since we had any hope. My father is a nobleman, but his rule is failing, and our people lose faith and I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored" Aragorn looked intensely at Boromir as he described Gondor, Farren found herself holding onto every word. No matter what she had told Haldir, that was her birthright as well as Aragorn's.

"I have seen the White City. Long ago"

"One day our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up a call, the Lord and Lady of Gondor have returned" she heard the hope fill his voice again. "Farren has never seen the White City?" Aragorn shook his head. "When she enters Gondor, hope will once again spread through our city like wildfire"

"Why do you say that?" her brother's voice was soft

"Because she inspires hope in us all. Everywhere she goes hope flares up. I do not know what she did on that bridge, but she has kept us together these weeks. For her, I would ride to the black gates of Mordor. Love and loyalty like that are rare in this world" Boromir looked over at her, neither man seemed to realise she was listening as she wove a braid of grass.

"Farren has always been like that. It is one reason she would make a good queen. She has the spirit and courage of any warrior, but her heart is gentle and fiercely protective. I would give my life to protect her. She is the only family I have left"

Farren didn't want to hear any more, she stood walking off away from the camp. Her heart thrumming, how could she inspire hope when she had hardly any left herself? She watched Frodo sprint by her away from a glade. Galadriel beckoned to her from beside a basin.

Farren stepped through an arch. The sound of running water hummed in the background. "Will you look into the mirror, Farren daughter of Arathorn?" Farren stepped forward, her curiosity getting the better of her. She knew that nothing good would come out of this, but something told her she must.

She looked into the pool, at first only her reflection stared back at her.

Then the image shifted, she was stood next to Thorin as a small group approached them. As the group drew near, they broke into a run and Farren focused on two of them; Kili and Fili. Shouts from the other members of the company but her gaze was fixed on Fili who was standing frozen, ignoring the others crowded around him. She had been younger then and smaller, her height the same as Fili's. She ran at him, throwing herself into his arms, Fili laughed in joy as he hugged her back tightly.

The image shifted again she was looking up at Azog holding Fili, tears dripped down the dwarf's face, even from this distance she saw him reach his hand out to her. Thorin held her tightly to him, 'Farren' his voice was rough as Azog laughed down at them, he stabbed Fili in the chest, the blade coming through his whole body, 'I love you' he gasped before Azog dropped him. Farren heard her scream echo in her own ears as Fili's body landed face up in front of her.

The image changed again, this time Farren stood alone on a ledge, mountains spread out before her. Legolas held her to him as they looked over a White City. Gondor. She realised, the walls were shattered, and fires still burnt in the city. Legolas' face was bloody, but a smile graced his features. Suddenly black blood spilt out of his eyes and ears and mouth.

Farren tried to pull away but a force kept her in place.

Orcs surrounded her, Aragorn was by her side, they were fighting surrounded. Aragorn was looking down at her in horror as if she was on her knees, Farren felt cold spreading through her body. Legolas was running towards them as a troll grabbed Aragorn throwing him backwards.

Farren stumbled backwards away from the mirror. She understood now why Frodo had fled. "The past. The present. The Future. Only the future is not set in stone. Do not fear love. You have power Farren, the power that will be vital in the journey to come."

Farren backed away, leaving Galadriel, she felt as if she was in a daze, tears trickling down her cheeks. Fili's face burnt into her mind. She collapsed to her knees holding her head, Galadriel's words coming to her on the wind, "Do not carry the weight of the dead on your shoulders."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N 2 updates in 2 days! The next update will be Saturday, then the one after will be Tuesday :) I'm glad you are enjoying this book so far!

Wattpad was trending on Twitter yesterday, not sure why, does anyone know?

Hope you all have a great day!

Wren