Chapter 9

"Good, very good" Boromir was telling Merry and Pippen as they took up their daily sword lessons. The days had melded together, since the day in the flower field. Farren sat next to Aragorn watching the Hobbits lesson. She could smell Sam's signature cooking from a little distance away, while Legolas posed on a rock watching the sky.

"Move your feet" Aragorn called,

"Watch Boromir, not each other" Farren called lightly, her brother elbowed her in the side.

"Are you going to name him?" Aragorn asked, indicating the squirrel who had managed to wriggle its way in Farren's pack and was now sitting on her shoulder. "He likes you a lot"

"I'm trying to think of one. He won't leave me alone" Farren stroked the squirrels head happily, "I've never seen squirrels act like this". Aragorn only chuckled in response.

"I'm sure Farren especially would like to see Blain again" was the only part of Gimli and Gandalf's argument she caught before Boromir accidentally sliced Pippen; his apology was ignored as the two-hobbits leapt on him in revenge. Farren and Aragorn laughed quietly together but she was pulled away at Sam question. 

"Aragorn no!" Farren laughed as Aragorn stood up trying to pull the hobbits off Boromir only to be pulled down as well. Farren laughed looking up towards Legolas who was staring intensely at the sky.

She raced up the rocks to stand next to Legolas to see the strange thing in the sky.

"Hide!" she gasped in panic, just as Legolas too realised the danger

"Cerberin from Dunland"

"HIDE!" both Aragorn and Farren commanded, instantly movement filled the camp as their presence was obliterated. Before Farren could decide on a hiding place arms curled around her waist, pulling her into a chest before rolling them both into the bracken. She did not know who held her, but she didn't dare moved to check as she looked up at the creatures swarming above. Leaving after a few minutes of tension.

"Spies of Saruman" Gandalf spat, as the fellowship revealed themselves.

"My apologies Farren, I panicked" Boromir's voice whispered in her ear. His arms were still wrapped around her small waist.

"No. Thank you, Boromir. You acted to protect me as you would have done any of us" Farren didn't realise they were still curled in the bushes until Legolas appeared, pulling her up and out of the man's arms and away from him.
He ignored her protests as he guided them to the hobbits who shook with fear. She caught Aragorn's eyes narrow at the two of them before she crouched down to comfort Pippen by hugging him tightly. Gandalf looked up at Caradhras. They started their difficult journey up the mountain. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun shone brightly but the air was cold and crisp. Legolas and Farren alone were able to walk on the snow more easily than the others. Legolas left no footprint but Farren's sunk into the snow, her small stature and height allowed her to balance above the snow rather than in it. She walked next to Boromir.

Suddenly Frodo slipped, rolling back down, Aragorn shouted the Hobbits name, catching him. Boromir moved away from Farren as the whole company stopped. Frodo fumbled at his neck in horror. Farren held her breath as Boromir picked up the ring on the silver chain.

"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing. Such a little thing" Farren saw Aragorn's hand move to his sword hilt, she herself moved silently next to Boromir.

"Boromir" she whispered placing a hand on his shoulder, he seemed to jolt out of a trance, "Give the ring to Frodo". He slowly handed the ring to Frodo, who snatched it back. Farren took Boromir's hand in her own guiding him away from Frodo and engaging him in conversation as they drew close to Legolas who was watching them carefully.

Only hours later they were caught up in a snowstorm. Even Farren now struggled with the snow, wading through it with her hands and hips. Frodo and Sam clung to Aragorn's back, while Merry and Pippen hung to Boromir's. Farren struck a path for Gimli to follow in her wake, the dwarf had been refused to be carried, and by a woman no less. The squirrel, which Farren still hadn't named was tucked in a ball in her pack.

Legolas strode on ahead; his elven ability still left no tracks on top of the snow. "There is a fell voice on the air"

"Its SARUMAN!" Gandalf cried, above them the sounds of cracking filled the air. Rocks tumbled down on them.

"He's trying to bring down the mountain. Gandalf we must turn back" Aragorn yelled but Gandalf refused, shaking his head. He stood yelling into the air. But lighting struck above them starting a snowfall, burying them in deep, Farren felt herself tumbled off the ledge, she dangled from the edge. The fellowship argued about which way to go Gondor or Rohan or Moria.

"We will go through the mines"

"FARREN!" Legolas' yelled sounding panicked as he dug further into the snow, his voice was echoed by Aragorn's. She called to them, Legolas appearing at the ledge seconds later. He reached down grabbing her frozen hands pulling her up before both tumbled backwards into the mountain. Farren ending up on his chest looking down at him, their faces very close.

"Thank you" she breathed, shakily getting to her feet, her near-death experiences still pumping adrenaline around her body. "I shall be glad to see Balin again"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N I'm back again. Slight delay, I'm now on the easter holidays so hopefully, I'll be back to consistent updates, my plan is to finish writing this story by the end of April so I can have consistent updates until the end of the book.

I hope you are enjoying the story so far, my plan is to update this Saturday! Things are about to go down.

Thank you for all the support on this book we are over 700 reads! 

Wren