Chapter 5

Farren knew Aragorn was more worried than he wanted to admit as they hurried through the woods. With her brother carrying Frodo, Farren kept her blade ready, she could hear the Nazgul. She led them towards the Troll's camp, the ones who Bilbo had so cleverly tricked 60 years ago. They needed kingsfoil, she'd heard that Tauriel had healed Kili with it, she knew elvish medicine if she could slow the poison till they reached Rivendell...

"Look, Mr Frodo, its Mr Bilbo's Trolls," Sam said in wonder, Farren grabbed Aragorn's arm as he set Frodo down.

"Kingsfoil I need it. I can slow the poison until we reach Rivendell" he gave her a look.

'You have always been good with medicine, but this is beyond even you Farren' he whispered urgently.

"You know as well as I do that we will not make it to Rivendell in time at this pace, Bill is no elven horse". Aragorn nodded calling Sam to help. They disappeared into the bush.

"Will he be alright" Merry desperately asked, Farren looked sadly at them.

"Without elvish medicine, he will fade to become one of them" both Hobbits shivered. Sam came stumbling back into the clearing, Farren grabbed the kingsfoil from him. She dropped her pack to the ground, a bushy-tailed poked out. The Squirrel was holding the extra ingredients she needed in its tiny jaws. She chewed the weed that Sam gave her pushing it onto the wound.
How the squirrel knew what she needed Farren neither knew or cared. She began her work as Frodo moaned and screamed, she murmured gentle words to him.

Light-filled the clearing, Farren drew Legolas' dagger, her sword still strapped to her back. But it was Arwen who dropped gracefully from the horse, whispering to Frodo who looked amazed. Farren looked at Arwen as she coxed Frodo back to the light, Aragorn came back throwing kingsfoil at Farren, who continued to work on the wound. She ignored Sam's gasps at Arwen being an elf.

"He's not going to last. We must get him to my father" Aragorn picked Frodo up again, placing him onto Arwen's horse. "I've been looking for you for two days. But you two leave no tracks, until now" she nodded at Frodo. "There are five wraiths behind you. Where the other four are I do not know". Aragorn and Arwen began what Farren considered an ill-timed married couples' argument in elvish.

"I will go with her" Farren interrupted both, at Aragorn's look she smiled, whistling loudly a tune that hummed through the trees. A black stallion emerged from the trees, the hobbits backed away thinking that the Nazgul had found them, but Farren went to the stallion.

"Nuallan," she said, "An old friend. I will distract them, ride hard and fast Arwen, I will be behind you", Arwen mounted at the same time she did. "It is too dangerous'" Aragorn grabbed her leg, speaking in Elvish.

"I have fought many wars and many monsters"

"Not like this" he insisted

"Yes, like this"

"Ride hard and do not look back" Farren kicked Nuallan, the stallion leapt forwards to ride with Arwen. Together they rode across the land, hard and fast, never looking back. The sun had risen before the screams met their ears.

Farren yelled at Arwen to go faster, dropping her pace to ride behind the elf. The Nazgul were catching up, they were so close to the river. Farren drew her blade, swiping at them, as one reached out for Frodo, Arwen cried out to her stead, while Farren cut into the Nazgul's arm.

They emerged into the river, both Arwen stood in the middle while Farren remained on the bank, the Nazgul charged her. Nuallan did not blanch, remaining calm to her commands. Farren had fought many wars and many battles over the years but not like this. She was outmatched to pure evil. "Go!" she yelled at Arwen, the elf hesitated, "Go now! Please! Save him!" she pleaded.

"Stand aside ranger" hissed one of the Nazgul, Farren replied by swinging at him.
Their blades met, he pushed, causing her to topple off Nuallan. She rolled to her feet as the leader advanced still on horseback, with the others. Blades came at her on all sides. Farren rolled in the dirt, stabbing at their mount's legs. A few collapsed but she felt something catcher her shoulder, sending her toppling into the river. Nuallan whined from the safe bank.

The riders stepped into the water, Farren felt the water shift and move. Was it her imagination or was it rising? The Nazgul were upon her again, she shuffled towards Nuallan, when she saw between the Nazgul's horses legs a huge wave racing towards them. She scrambled towards the other bank, the Nazgul had realised what was going on, trying to get back to the previous bank. They didn't make it in time, the wave swept them away.

Farren felt something clamp onto her shirt back pulling her out of the current that was pulling her downstream. Nuallan pulled her to safety, nudging her cheek worriedly as she collapsed to the grounds. Arwen was gone with Frodo, thank the gods above.

A bushy tail scampered up her arm. 'How in Middle-Earth are you still here?' she asked the stubborn squirrel incredulously. It almost seemed to smirk up at her but sniffed her shoulder.

It was bleeding, heavily. She inspected it. It was no Morgul wound, that she was lucky, but it was some poisoned blade. She cursed, standing up, as yellow push already began to seep from the cut. Farren ripped her shirt binding it. She stood dizzyingly, the world spinning. Nuallan knelt, allowing her easier access to his back. She staggered onto him, the squirrel clutching her good shoulder, "To Rivendell Nuallan" she whispered weakly in elvish.

The stallion began to gallop, gallop faster than she had ever seen him run, even from the Nazgul. His hooves didn't seem to touch the ground, but her fevered brain no longer comprehended her surroundings. All her concentration went into not falling off her stallion, his bareback was usually no problem for her, but now it seemed more slippery than ice.

His hooves soon beat against paved stone, the sound of waterfalls filled her ears, sounding far away. Nuallan let out a scream, shouts sounded from around her, but darkness was closing in around her. She slipped sideways, falling off Nuallan. She expected to hit hard ground, but instead warm, muscular arms caught her. Her brain could not comprehend the voice in her ear, she thought she caught her name. "Farren?!"

Her head lolled to the side, eyes blurring the sky was so blue. As were the eyes she caught a glimpse of. His eyes? No. He was far away. Her fevered brain was showing her the last person she thought of, before succumbing to darkness.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N Cliffhanger! I do enjoy leaving on a good cliff hanger! The next chapter is slightly shorter so I will try to update it tomorrow!

This was a fun chapter to write, I really want to try to bring strong female characters that aren't damsels in distress but also are able to show emotion and are actually kind-hearted. I hate cold, arrogant, no emotion female characters! They are cliche and bad!

Thank you again for all the support on this book, this is a story that I really like to write and I love the characters of Middle Earth!

Next chapter we meet a certain elf... ;)

Wren