Chapter 50- Day One

I woke to a loud crash in the hallway. I looked around to find myself alone in my hospital room.

“Where is Luke?” I asked myself curiously.

I reached for my phone and noticed there was a piece of paper with Luke’s handwriting on it. I picked it up and read it.

Bridget,

I have ran over to the Galt House to get a shower and change my clothes. I will be back soon. Don’t worry, Keegan and Kinley are fine. I made sure they were safely in the nursery before I left. Someone should be there soon if they aren’t there now. If there is anything you want or need call me. Or if you just want to talk to me. I won’t mind. I love you.

Luke

I reached for my phone and as I did my phone vibrated. It was a group text from Kerri to Luke and I. I opened the message and read it.

**Kerri** They caught the woman who was working with Brad Bennett. She was that woman you kicked out of the NutHouse Christmas party last year. I’ll talk to you both about everything when I get to Louisville tomorrow. Congrats by the way! I can’t wait to meet Keegan and Kinley!

**Bridget** Thanks. See ya soon.

I went to my call log and called Luke.

“I was just thinking about you,” Luke said as he answered the phone.

“You just saw the text I sent Kerri, didn’t you?” I asked already knowing the answer.

“Yes, but I was thinking about you before that,” Luke told me.

“Then why were you thinking about me?” I questioned him.

“Well, I was thinking that we needed to get a different vehicle. We aren’t going to want to take separate vehicles everywhere and all of us won’t fit into my truck or yours. I was thinking about an Escalade,” Luke answered.

“Seriously? An Escalade?” I questioned my husband.

“Yes. I’ve looked into everything I can think of and I think that is what both of us will like the best. It can give us eight seats, which will allow us to have one more kid,” Luke answered with a mischievous grin.

“We’re not even 24 hours into being the parents of five kids and you are talking about adding more?” I asked in shock, “What kind of drugs are you on?”

“I would have fifty more kids as long as they were all with you. I’ve seen what it’s like with you and your sisters. To have a big family. I want our kids to have that. I had great relationships with Kelly and Chris, but we didn’t get the chance to become as close as y’all are. And there are just so many of you. Especially when you count your cousins, aunts, and uncles,” Luke choked out.

“Luke, we can have as many kids as you want as long as they aren’t all back to back. I really don’t think I could handle it,” I informed him.

“Seriously?” Luke asked me curiously, but then we lost the call.

I tried calling Luke back many times, but didn’t get an answer. I couldn’t bring myself to stop trying to call. I just sat in the bed with tears in my eyes trying over and over again. It had been a good fifteen minutes and still no word from Luke. I have no clue what happened.

“What’s wrong?” LeClaire asked as she walked through the door of my hospital room.

“It’s Luke. I was talking to him and then the call just dropped. I’ve tried calling him back a thousand times, but he’s not answering. I’m scared something has happened to him,” I cried to my mother-in-law.