Chapter 68- Talking with Jordan

“Luke, are you ready to talk to Jordan? She’s waiting for us,” I said as I walked into the kitchen.

“I’m coming. I’m going to grab a drink first. Do you want anything?” Luke asked as he got up and opened the refrigerator.

“A Sprite please. And a snack maybe?” I answered him.

“What do you want?” Luke asked me.

“I really don’t care. I haven’t ate anything all day,” I told him.

“Bridge, why haven’t you ate?” Luke questioned me still holding the refrigerator open.

“The same reason you haven’t,” I stated. He just looked at me then grabbed a few bottles of water, Coke, and a Sprite before opening the cabinet and grabbing some peanut butter, crackers, and then a butter knife from the silverware drawer. He struggled cramming everything into his arms. It was like a juggling act gone horribly wrong.

“Would you like some help?” I smirked.

“No, not at all,” He said as he rolled his eyes at me. I considered taking him literally for a split second, but I knew that wouldn’t end well.

“Do you think y’all are going to need the kitchen sink?” Megan asked sarcastically.

“Haha! Very funny!” I exclaimed as Luke and I started up the stairs.

“Where’s Jordan?” Luke asked me as he topped the stairs.

“Your room,” I told him as he took a right towards his childhood bedroom.

He stopped right in front of the door and waited for me to open it. As I did, Jordan was sitting at the window staring out to the open field behind the house. I had seen Luke there so many times. That was his go-to spot anytime he was upset about something and we were here. He would sit there for hours just thinking. I’m sure she would too. There was a lot that Jordan and Luke had in common. More than either of them even realized.

“I brought some snacks up here,” Luke said as I sat down on the bed, “Do you want anything?”

“What do you have?” Jordan asked as she finally turned from the window showing her freshly tear-stained eyes.

“Peanut butter, crackers, water, and Coke,” Luke told her as she walked towards us.

“A Coke, I guess,” she sighed, “Maybe some crackers to settle my stomach.”

Jordan crawled up on the bed next to me and started to open the box of Ritz crackers. I opened to peanut butter and started smothering the crackers with it as soon as Jordan got them open. Every time I got the crackers covered in peanut butter, Luke ate them. I don’t care if he will admit it or not, I knew Luke was just as hungry as I was. When I finally got some ahead of Luke, I sat back against the headboard and handed everything to Luke.

“Can I ask y’all something?” Jordan asked as she stared down at the cracker in her hand.

“You can ask us anything,” Luke spoke while I had a mouth full, but I shook my head in agreement.

“Why are you going to get rid of this baby?” Jordan asked us.

“We’re not. That’s not anything we’ve even thought about,” Luke told her as I finished chewing.

“But Bridget, you said that it wasn’t going to last?” Jordan questioned me curiously.

“Honey, it’s not like that. Not at all,” I said, but before I could finish Luke chimed in.

“With all the stress that Bridget’s under right now we know that she will have a miscarriage. We would never purposefully end our child’s life,” Luke said as a tear started to form in his eye.