Chapter 35- Packages & Letters

“What happened?” I heard a paramedic ask.

“She went to grab a couple of bottles of beer out of the fridge and dropped them. They must have hit each other when she caught them. When I turned around they were shattered all over the floor and she was bleeding,” Luke explained.

“She’s lucky. It looks like it just nicked a vein. She should be okay, but she’s lost a lot of blood. We’ve pretty much got her stabilized, but we have reached a limit as to what we can do. She’s going to have to have surgery,” the paramedic said.

“Will that hurt our baby?” Luke asked.

“There will be concern, but I can’t say either way. You will have to ask the doctor, Mr. Bryan,” the paramedic answered him.

Why is everyone talking over me like I don’t even exist? I’m right here.

“Baby, it’s going to be okay. You are going to be fine. Our little peanut will be fine. Just come back to me,” I heard Luke say to me. I felt him rub my abdomen. I could feel the love in his touch. I just wanted to kiss him, but I was paralyzed. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t see. I was trapped.

“Unconscious 30 year old female, she has a nick in a vein in her left hand. According to her fiancée, that is her dominate hand. She’s lost a lot of blood and will require a transfusion. More than likely surgery to repair the vein too,” the paramedic said as I was jostled out of the ambulance.

Unconscious? Blood transfusion? Surgery? What is going on? Where’s Luke?

“I’m sorry Mr. Bryan, you can’t go any farther. If you wait over here someone will be out to speak with you as soon there’s information available,” a strange female voice said.

There was lots of chatter among whoever was in the room. I have no clue what they were doing. I could hear everything or was I just dreaming. It was like that move Awake with Hayden Christiansen. I just didn’t feel anything. The clarity started to fade.

“Kerri, I don’t care! This is more important...She’s not even conscious!...I’m not leaving her side! I don’t care!...Cancel it! Reschedule it! I’m not going anywhere!” Luke yelled. He must have been on the phone.

“Son, you couldn’t have got so upset with Kerri. She’s just looking out for your career,” LeClaire told her son.

“Momma, how could she expect me to up and leave? Bridget isn’t even conscious and until she is we won’t know the full fate of the baby,” Luke vented, “I won’t have a career without Bridget. She’s my world.”

“I know, but still I raised you better than that. Bridget would understand if you weren’t here when she woke up. You know that,” LeClaire explained to her son.

“I know, but I would never forgive myself if, God forbid, something was to go wrong. Momma, she is everything to me. She’s my reason for getting out of bed each morning. She’s the reason for everything,” Luke cried.

Luke was crying. Did he really think something was going to happen to me? Or the baby? I felt my eyes start to flutter. The light was excruciating, but there was Luke, by my side.

“Hey Bridge,” he said as he wiped the tears from his eyes.

“Hey. You shouldn’t have been so hard on Kerri,” I scolded him, “She’s only got your best interests at heart.”

“I know, but I’m not leaving you. Not now, not ever,” Luke explained.

“Wait you heard that?” he questioned me, “Have you been awake this whole time?”