Chapter 62- The Hermitage Hotel

“Are you ready?” I asked Bridget as we grabbed a bag and told the kids goodbye.

“As ready as I can be,” Bridget answered me before turning to Kenzie, “Are you sure you’ll be okay without me and your daddy here?”

“Momma, I’ll be fine,” Kenzie assured her.

“Bridget, you’re hovering. She’s going to be fine. Everyone is here with her. We’re only going to Nashville. It’s not like we are leaving the country,” I informed my wife.

“Don’t be a smartass, Luke. I’ll stay here,” Bridget told me.

“No you won’t! You promised!” I exclaimed.

“Yeah, yeah,” Bridget said as she rolled her eyes at me.

“You kids be good. Boys, do you hear me?” I asked.

“Yes, dad,” Bo said.

“Okay,” Tate answered.

“We love you,” Bridget said as she leaned down and kissed each one of the kids on the cheek before she would walk out the door.

“We’ll be back tomorrow,” I said as I closed the door behind us.

Bridget and I loaded into my truck and started down the driveway. Bridget kept turning around and looking towards the house, even though it was out of sight.

“Turn around!” Bridget shouted in a panic. My reaction was to slam on the brakes.

“What is it?” I asked.

“I can’t do this,” Bridget said as we sat in the middle of the drive.

“Yes, you can. All of the kids are in good hands. They will be fine. As soon as we get there you can call and check on Kenzie. I’m sure she will already be in bed, but you can call,” I told her as I started easing forward.

“You really think she will be okay?” Bridget asked me not noticing I was moving forward.

“Yes, baby. She will be fine. I promise,” I told her.

“Okay. Let’s go,” Bridget said as she looked forward and realized we were farther than we had been, “You are something else, Luke. I see what you were doing.”

“I don’t have a clue what you are talking about,” I smiled as I raised my arm and wrapped it around Bridget.

“Sure you don’t,” Bridget said as she nestled into my side, laced her fingers into mine, and placed her hand on my thigh as we pulled out onto Kane Ranch Road.

We rode in silence the entire way to the hotel. No radio, no conversation, just perfect silence. In that silence so much was spoken between us. The trust that we both had in each other was spoken the most loudly.

“We’re here,” I said as I pulled up in front of The Hermitage Hotel.

“Here?” Bridget questioned me.

“Yes, it’s your favorite,” I said as I helped Bridget out and handed the keys to the guy doing valet.

“But, Luke, this is only one night,” Bridget said in disbelief.

“But it’s our anniversary,” I told her, “Our first anniversary.”

Bridget just looked at me and smiled. I grabbed our luggage out of the backseat and handed it to the bellhop. Bridget grabbed my hand interlacing our fingers together as we walked into the lobby.

“Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Bryan. We’ve been expecting you. Your room is ready. Charlie will show you to your room. I hope you have a wonderful night. And Happy Anniversary,” the receptionist told us.