Chapter 58- I've Got to Fix This

I can’t believe that Luke made a scene in front of God and everyone. That will make the news tonight. I have to get out of here. When I started the truck I saw the fury in Luke’s eyes, but it was more than that. There was a certain level of pain.

“Come on, Bridge,” I heard Luke scream as I backed out of the parking spot.

I went straight to the airport, but I was running late thanks to Luke. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot my phone started ringing. It was Brit.

“Where are you at?” Brit asked as soon as I answered.

“I just pulled into the parking lot. I’m sorry I’m late. I ran into Luke,” I answered her.

“You talked to Luke?” Brit questioned.

“Yes and no,” I answered, “Where are you?”

“Just pull up out front,” Brit said, “I’ll be there.”

“Alright,” I told her as I hung up the phone.

Just a matter of minutes later I was pulling up to the front of Nashville International Airport. Brit was right there, just like she said she would be.

“So, where are we going?” Brit asked as I pulled onto the interstate.

“Either to your place or a hotel,” I told her.

“Oh,” Brit said with a puzzled expression, “I assumed we would go back to your place.”

“Luke’s in town,” I informed her, “I really don’t want to talk to him.”

“Bridget, how many times do I have to tell you to talk to him? He loves you and would never do anything to hurt you,” Brit exclaimed.

“Can we just talk about Luke later?” I asked, “I just want to be able to relax for a bit.”

“Let’s go to my house. Since Jason isn’t home no one will expect anyone to be there and we won’t have to worry about anyone,” Brit said.

Traffic was horrible, so it took almost an hour to get to Brit and Jason’s house. I unloaded my one bag and Brit grabbed hers before she unlocked the door. She sat her bag next to the couch and went straight to the kitchen.

“Red or white?” Brit asked me as she held up two different bottles of wine.

“White,” I told her, “You know I don’t like red wine.”

“True,” Brit yelled from the kitchen not realizing I was heading that direction.

“So,” I said as I sat on the island and kicked off my shoes.

“So, what? You’re the one who had to have me here,” Brit said as she hopped up on the counter across from me.

“I just don’t know where to begin. I just feel like my world is falling apart. I never would have thought Luke would have done that. I though he was different,” I explained to Brit before taking a big swig of White Zinfandel.

“Bridget, can you honestly say that you think that he would hurt you like that? He has admitted that he’s always been in love with you. That he pretty much never was in love with Caroline. How can you doubt him?” Brit asked me.

“Because every guy I have ever been with has done it. They’ve all cheated in one way or the other. I’m always left with a broken heart in the end. Why not just get this over now?” I answered Brit.

“Bridget Bryan! Luke isn’t every other guy you’ve been with! He would give up everything for you! He’s talked to Jason about it! He’s really considering it too! Do you want that for him? Do you want him to give up everything he’s ever dreamed of because of you?” Brit yelled at me.