CHAPTER NINE

The next day at lunch, Alex was sitting at one of the picnic tables with Corey, Luna, and Phoebe

The next day at lunch, Alex was sitting at one of the picnic tables with Corey, Luna, and Phoebe. He sort of wanted to sit with the VKs, but he felt bad for not spending that much time with his friends since he had been spending a lot of time withEvie.

"So, how are you and Evie?" Luna asked him, knowing how the tension between them and really everyone with the VKs after what happened at Family Day.

Alex heavily sighs, shrugging his shoulders in response. He glances over at Evie, who sat a table nearby them, with a longing look. She felt eyes on her and looked in his direction, a small smile tugging on her lips when they locked eyes. He smiled at her, but then she quickly looked away when Mal kicked her foot under the table to get her attention. Alex frowned a bit when Evie looked away.

"I don't know." Alex replied with an honest answer as his friends shared a sad look. They felt bad for what Alex was going through. Alex thought that things were going great between him and Evie and then of course something had to come and ruin it.

"I'm sure things are going to be fine." Corey reassured him, patting Alex's shoulde to comfort him.

A small smile forms on Alex's face. "Yeah, I hope so." He said and continued to eat his lunch.

"Tomorrow's Coronation." Phoebe speaks up, feeling like it was time to change the subject as she ate her lunch. She smiles at Alex, who sat across from her. "You excited? Nervous? All the above?"

Alex shrugs once again and goes back go finishing his meal. "I mean, I guess I'm excited for it. But all I do is stand there. Ben's the one becoming King. By the way, I think is odd because we're still sixteen"

"You gotta start sometime, right?" Luna smiled a bit, trying to be positive about this and Phoebe nodded in agreement.

They look back over towards where the VKs sat when they heard a scream. Then they realized it was Jane who had screamed and noticed that her hair was back to the way it originally was. Alex tilted his head to the side, watching curiously as the VKs stood up facing Jane and the rest of the girls beside her.

"There's a lot more where that came from." Mal stated, holding her spell book in her hand.

Audrey scoffs as she puts a hand on her hip. "Excuse me, who do you think you are?"

Mal raises an eyebrow. "Do I look like I'm kidding?"

The group of girls stay quiet, looking like they don't believe Mal. Mal opens her book up, ready to do another spell, but the girls quickly run off along with the rest of the students that were out there. The only ones that were left were the VKs, Alex and his friends, and the other students that were sitting at the other picnic tables behind them.

"Well," Alex looks back at Corey when he speaks. Corey chuckles awkwardly. "That was...Interesting."

"Yeah." Phoebe agrees. "Interesting is one word to describe it."