Chapter 18: Break-Up

Kade's POV

On Monday, I spent the entire day avoiding Joey, Melissa, and Cody, which was pretty easy because I think Joey had told them to give me space due to my father. But after dance, I knew I had to face him when I saw him and Emilie both leaning against my car. Emilie had stayed after for tutoring again and at this point, I regretted telling her that I could take her home because I really didn't want to do this in front of my sister.

All day yesterday, I spent all in my room to try and figure out what I wanted to do at this point. I figured out that if I went with the choice to break up with Joey that I would be able to have my family by my side because I had a feeling that if I moved out to be with Joey that my mother and sister wouldn't want to deal with me because I still wouldn't tell them why I was moving out to help them save the picture of who they though my father was.

When I approached my car, I looked at Emilie. "Get in the car, I'll be there in a few minutes."

"Okay," she told me as she got in with a confused look as did Joey, who tried to pull me into a hug, but I backed away because having him touch me right now would make everything worse right now.

"What's going on?" He asked me.

I fiddled with my hands as I tried to figure out how to say this terrible thing to him. "Joey, I don't know how to say this, but I think we need to end this."

His face switched into a mixture of panic and fear as his brain tried to comprehend what I had just told him. He took a step back, hitting my car which made Emilie look up from the movement. I could already see the tears formulating in his eyes as he cleared his throat. "Why?"

"There's some things that I need to work through with my father and I just don't think I can do it with you in the picture," I tell him, crossing my arms so he didn't see the shaking in my hands while I also had to hold in my tears.

"But..." he tried to say something before he turned his face to the side as a single tears fell down his left cheek. At that moment, my heart broke into a million pieces and my entire body covered in panic at what I was doing.

"I'm so sorry," I tell him, trying to keep this short and sweet.

"Kade, we could work through this together-" he started.

"I'm sorry, but I can't. There's so much going on and I just don't think this relationship is something that I can keep going forward with," I tell him.

I'm shocked when Joey's hands shoot out to grab mine, sending sparks throughout my entire body. He pulls me to his chest as his hands keep gripping my wrists to hold me in place in case I try to move or anything. "Kade, what's going on?"

I shake my head. "This is my choice."

"No," he snaps. "you did not decide this. I know you, Kade. You wouldn't have chosen this yourself, not after everything that's happened."

I look away from his worried face, begging myself to not cry at this time. I knew that if I had told him that it was my dad's ultimatum, then he would probably show up at my house or something to convince my dad that what he was doing was wrong and I've definitely thought through all the possibilities where I asked him again.

I tried to pull my wrists away from his hands, but he only tightened them. The urge to cry got even greater when he looked at me with desperation. "Tell me what's really going on."

"Please, just let me go," I whisper, my voice cracking like I'm some broken kid and at this moment, that's exactly what I feel like. I watch as another tear falls down his face before he pulls me closer to himself. I have to look away as I start to cry because I know that looking at him even more will just make this whole situation even worse.

"Talk to me. What's going on?"

"Let go," I urge forward as I try to pull my wrists away again, but his hands tighten again, which now creates a painful ring around my skin. I close my eyes, more tears falling down my face at this terrible situation.

I hear a car door opening before slamming shut and I don't open my eyes to see whatever's about to happen until I feel a hand place on my arm. "Joey, let go of him."

I look up to see Emilie pulling on both of our arms to get him off of me and when she touches him, he lets go to take a step away from us as he wipes at his eyes hastily. My sister pulls me towards the car and I get the strength to walk over to the door and get in. As we drive away, I don't give Joey a look because breaking down was not an option right now.

When we get out of the parking lot and to the main road, I bite down on my lip as all the emotions hit me at once. Emilie reaches over to take one of my hands in hers in support before she clears her throat. "What happened? I thought you were happy."

I lean back in my seat, never taking my eyes off the road. "I was."

She doesn't say anything else the entire road and about 10 minutes later, I pull into our driveway before getting out and walking up the porch steps with her. When we walk into the house, we notice our parents sitting at the couch with work stuff sitting in front of them and when I see my dad, I have to look away because he was the cause of all this pain and all this suffering.

My mom looks up, immediately becoming aware of the emotion on my face as my sister closes the front door. "Kade, what happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it. I'm going to bed," I say, trying to walk past them, but my father grabs my wrist to pull me into the kitchen where we're no longer in site or hearing distance from my mother or sister.

"Did you do it?" He asks me and I conjure up enough strength to push him away from me. He gives me a surprised look when he lightly hits the fridge that stands behind him. More tears start streaming down my face, starting to wonder if being in his life was genuinely a good option at this point if he was so determined to hurt me.

"Fuck you," I bite out before turning around and charging up the stairs as I leave my father behind, stunned from what just happened to him. I get into my room before slamming the door and falling face forward onto my bed to dig my face into the pillow as I start to sob.

I love Joey, I really do, but my family is my everything. At least my mother and sister are my everything. No matter what had happened with me, those two women have been there for me through everything and just imagining them not being in my life hurts me down to my core.

I hear a knock on my door, but ignore it because the last thing I wanted right now was confrontation from anyone. Along with that, I heard my phone dinging in my bookbag that I had discarded to my floor when I walked into my room and I assumed that Joey had gotten home and told Cody and Melissa what had happened. I let my sobs drift me off to sleep as a terrible headache started to make my entire body feel disgusting and dizzy.