Chapter 4: Apartment

Kade's POV

When I wake up, I'm so tired that I don't even want to move from my comfortable spot under my warm blanket. I force myself up after a few minutes of scrolling through my phone and texting Melissa back because she asked if I was coming with today. I go to my closet and pick out some army green joggers, a dark blue crewneck with white stripes, and some white Converse.

I realize I have some extra time, so I go downstairs to sit at the table with Emilie who's texting someone on her phone and I'm assuming it's Amanda from the way she laughs at whatever's said. I sit there for a few minutes with my sister who's telling me about how she already doesn't understand something in her math class.

She stops when she hears Mom talking to someone and we look at each other confused because Dad and our grandparents weren't home, so we don't know who it could be. When I hear the deep voice, I immediately know who it is and I shoot up from the chair as does Emilie, who realizes the same thing.

She pushes me back, so she gets there first and I almost fall to the floor, but catch myself on the wall as I try to grab her and pull her back so my mom and sister don't embarrass me in front of Joey. Emilie and I race to the front door for who will get there first.

Obviously, she does by how tiny she is and how fast. Once we do, Joey looks up at me with a smile while he holds a cup from Starbucks in his hand with my mother standing in front of him. He's wearing black joggers, a checkered hoodie, and black Vans and he's pushed his hair back so it's not hanging in his face.

"Hey, we should go," I said, rushing over to him to pull on his hand, trying to leave as quick as possible to not let my mom and sister embarrass me too much.

Joey nods, sticking his hand out to shake her hand. "It was lovely meeting you, Mrs. Brooks. I promise that I'll make sure he stays safe."

Mom reaches over and kisses my cheek before nodding to Joey who gives her another soft smile while Emilie stands there just watching it all play out. "It was great meeting you, dear."

I glare at my Mom as Joey walks down the porch steps and she gives me an innocent smile before I close the door so they can't watch us walk out like some creepers. When I get to Joey's side, he hands me the iced coffee cup.

"Here's your iced white chocolate mocha with almond milk," he says, telling me the order I had texted him last night since he asked what I wanted when he went to Starbucks this morning.

"Thank you," I said as we got into his car and started the journey into town where Melissa and Cody already were because they decided to go for breakfast beforehand.

"How'd you sleep?" He asked me as he turned down the radio to be able to hear my answer while he held the white coffee cup against his thigh that was probably still hot to drink at this point.

"I slept good, but I'm still so tired," I tell him as I set the back of my head on the headrest and get comfortable in my seat as Joey looks over to me. For the rest of the ride, we just sit in comfortable silence as the radio is a hum in our ears while we sip on our coffee to help us wake up.

We get to the place and sign in before we sit on the benches to wait for our turn since the place is somewhat busy on this cold Saturday morning. Joey and Cody sit on an open bench a little bit away from Melissa and I.

"How was the making out?" Melissa asked me with a small smirk.

I chuckle, shaking my head. "I'm going to assume Joey told you about it."

"Yep, now spill it. How was it?" She asks as I play with the bracelet that's on my wrist while I stare out at the people jumping on the trampolines on the floor with their friends and families. I look over at the other boys to see that they're deep in conversation about something that looks pretty serious.