Chapter 42: Battle

Joey's POV

I watched as one of my men went down due to a bloodthirsty rogue and I rushed over, fighting with it for a bit before biting into its neck, receiving a howl in pain before it fell to the ground at my paws. I kept moving forward, helping any of my men that needed it. We had been fighting for the past two days, swapping out so no one got too tired and made mistakes that could cost any lives. I was covered in cuts and bruises, nothing too serious except for a claw mark on my back, but it was already healing due to my adrenaline.

I looked out in front of me to see wolves upon wolves, all fighting together. We had all decided to do this shifted since that's what the rogues were doing and a bullet wouldn't stop them unless you hit the perfect spot. I had lost my dad and Cody when we first started, but I've seen glances of them through the mess, so I knew they were okay. Oliver had found me and stayed by my side for a bit before we were, unfortunately, separated.

I saw a rogue fighting one of my men and I started running over but was too late as they fell to the ground with blood dripping over their entire body. I immediately attacked the rogue, receiving a yelp in surprise as we rolled in the dirt to each gain control. I was much stronger than them and when I had the chance, I let my canines sink into their flesh to slow their heartbeat. When I lifted my head, I saw the poor wolf shifting and almost threw up when I saw who it was.

Monica, one of my front gate guards, was bleeding out on the ground in front of me. I shifted back into my human form, reaching out to take her hand in mine as she stared at me. She squeezed my hand tightly as my other hand covered her wound that was definitely going to kill her at the severity. I looked up at her face when she tried to clear her throat. "I killed him, I'm so sorry, Alpha."

I look over at the wolf that she just killed to notice that he was one of the members of the other packs that were helping us. I notice that the wolves' eyes were a dark purple that resembled a red that matched a rogues' and I could tell how she would get confused between the two. I look back down at her, keeping a hold on her hand. "It's okay, you were confused, it's alright. You did what you had to."

She shook her head, closing her eyes as tears fell out of them. "Their eyes looked so s-similar."

"I know, I promise you, it's okay," I whisper, hating that I was watching one of my friends die due to my assumption that she was a rogue for killing one of our people.

She gave me a soft smile as her eyes started to flutter. "Thank you, Alpha, for everything."

My heart broke when her head fell to the side as she took her last breath. I stayed there for a few moments to calm down before knowing that I needed to get back to protect others in need. I caught a glimpse of Cody before rushing over to him, noticing that he was having some problems with a particular wolf. I helped fight them off before he gave me a silent nod and ran off to help others.

I took a second, noticing that the entire field smelt of blood. Bodies of wolves laid on the ground, mostly rogues. My paws were covered in dirt and blood, making leaves stick to them whenever I walked. I noticed that a few of my pack members had injuries on their bodies, but kept fighting for us because they knew it wasn't their time to take a break. Last I heard, only 20 of our fighters were killed during the battle while the rogue's count was much higher.

"Joey!" Cody yelled to me as he ran towards me in his human form. I shifted to match him, meeting halfway with him as he let out a long breath while he leaned on his knees.

"What's going on?"

"I just got word that they found Reece's body a few minutes ago and the fighting had somewhat ceased. I think we can end it and just tell the other rogues that we're letting them leave because we don't want any more casualties," he tells me.