Chapter 36: Home

Kade's POV

I shifted in my sleep before reaching over to Joey's side of the bed before feeling nothing but the soft blankets underneath my fingertips. I slowly open my eyes to adjust them to the sunlight before I don't see my beautiful mate next to me. I sit up to look at Isaac and Oliver who were sitting up on the foot of the bed with the TV playing some show that I didn't recognize.

"Hey," Isaac says to me as he picks up the remote to pause whatever's playing.

"Where's Joey?" I asked him, rubbing my eyes.

"I think he went to the training quarters in the woods," Oliver said as he turned onto his side to look at me. They have been sleeping with us for about a week because Isaac and I had both been having nightmares and we felt like it was easier this way. The bed was way big enough for all four of us on here, so we didn't have to worry about that, but I know that Joey was having a hard time sharing his mate with our friends because it was always just him and I in bed, but now that's different. His werewolf is pretty jealous and I think the whole house could feel that at this point.

"Oh, okay, I'll be back then," I tell them before slipping on my shoes and leaving the room. I say good morning to Lila and Conner who are sitting on the couch with coffee before I slip out the back door. I find my way on the path to the training quarters where Joey and I have spent some time sparing to help get my strength up.

Once I see the blue mats laying on the ground with buckets of boxing gloves, I know I've walked the right way. The line of trees on the far edge of the quarters have punching bags and that's where I see my mate with wrapped wrists and hands as he throws punches at the bag.

I lean against a tree as I watch him in his basketball shorts and t-shirt that's now covered in sweat. I take a step forward and my foot lands on a leaf that crunches under my shoe, making Joey turn around to stare at me with his electric blue eyes. Once he sees that it's me, he smiles and starts to walk towards me as he unwraps his hands.

"Hey, beautiful, is everything alright?" He asks me as we meet each other halfway and he wraps his arms around me and the smell of his sweat traps me.

"I was before I smelled you," I tell him playfully and he laughs as he lets me go. "but everything's fine, I just wanted to come see you."

He pulled me over to the picnic table where he sat on top with his feet on the bench while I set my head on his knee to look up at him. He smiled as he reached out to run his hands through my hair. "How are you doing?"

I sigh, making him give me a confused look. "I'm okay, it's just, like, I feel like there's always someone watching me and waiting for me to be alone so they can something. I know it sounds so ridiculous-"

He shakes his head. "No, baby, it doesn't sound ridiculous. It's super rational with what happened to you, but I can promise you that what we did to those some of the rogues before they could run like the rest definitely sent a message of what we're capable of, so we should be okay for a while with no worry."

I nod my head before getting up to kneel on the bench between his legs. "I love you."

He sets his forehead against mine. "I love you so much and I'm so happy that you're mine."

I let our lips find one another's before wrapping my arms around his shoulders as he scoots forward to be closer to my body. He cups the back of my neck as his tongue slowly licks at my bottom lip before he bites down on it, making me chuckle as a response before we continue kissing.

I pull away as I hear leaves crunch behind me and I turn around to see nothing but the trees swaying as a breeze sweeps through the woods. "What's wrong?"