Chapter 8: Lila and Conner

Kade's POV

Joey held my hand the entire ride to the pack house because he could tell how nervous I was. I changed my shirt three times until settling on a white Calvin Klein shirt that Joey had let me borrow, some light blue ripped jeans, and tan ankle boots. My boyfriend made me wear a brown coat that went down past my butt since it was freezing outside even though I was sweating too much to care.

"Hey, it'll be okay, I promise you. I told you, they're already in love with you," he said, giving me a soft smile before focusing back on the road.

"Yeah, but they can change their mind when they actually meet me and they realize how terrible I am for you and they influence you to think the same and-" I get cut off by Joey pulling off onto a side street before putting the car into park to turn to me. He reaches out to set his hand against my cheek and I gasp as the sparks bring me back from my panic.

"Kade, listen to me, no one can ever influence me that you're bad for me, okay? You have taught me so much in so little time and I will spend my life thanking you and showing you appreciation for that. You are the man that was chosen to be with me for my life and that's not something they get wrong, you are meant to be with me and no one could tell me that's not true and I should just turn my back on you," he said with this fierceness in his eyes that tells me he's 100% serious about that.

"Okay," I say as tears start to come to my eyes as everything starts to catch up with me. Joey notices this as he scoots over, leaning over the center console to hug me as I tried to calm down with my head buried in his shoulder.

He ran his hands up-and-down my back before kissing the side of my head. "It's okay, everything's okay. I promise you that he'll love you because you're such an amazing human being and if someone doesn't like you, then they're certifiably insane."

I chuckled into his shoulder before pulling away to wipe at my eyes. He ran his hand through my hair before putting the car in drive to continue our ride to the house. About five minutes later, we pull up to a gate where he waves to two men who stand in front in black jackets and I notice the guns they have hooked to their belts before it opens and we drive in.

"Why do they have guns?" I ask and Joey looks over at me as we drive down a bumpy dirt road before the trees open up to show a neighborhood filled with houses and fields that have picnic tables scattered around. I notice some kids and parents sitting in a field that's bigger than the rest of them and I guess it's the communal space for the entire pack due to how many chairs and tables there are spread around.

Joey clears his throat. "We have rogues breaking in quite a bit. They're our guards, which means they protect the pack and they've been ordered that if they see a rogue, they shoot on site because if they somehow get over our fences, it can hurt some members of our pack."

"But from what you told me, they're normal wolves that have just separated from their packs, how do they know which are which?"

He puts the car in park in front of a huge house that's a dark gray color with white accents. There's a porch in the front with a table with chairs along with some games stacked in the corner. The front door is black with glass in the middle with a design carved into it that makes it feel majestic. I notice the four cars that's parked in the two connected garages along with two others that are in the same driveway that we're in.

"They're known as rogues not just because they separated from their packs because that's not forbidden, you can leave all you want. It's when you leave and then kill an innocent, whether it being another wolf or a human. When that happens, your eyes change to a red color and you can either stay a lone rogue, which is basically a death sentence or you join a rogue pack."