Chapter 24: Infection

Kade's POV

I wake up with a searing pain in my stomach about two days after the rogue attack happens as my head pounds and makes my sight see spots as my stomach throbs like it's being ripped open by a knife. I hold my breath to try and stop myself from screaming out loud as the pain continues to soar through my body as I blindly reach out to shake Joey awake, needing him to do something to make all this stop.

"Hm?" He hums awake before he realizes how bad I'm squeezing his hand and he sits up on his elbow as he throws the blanket off my body to slowly lift my shirt up to reveal a pinkish tint around the wound as it's lightly covered in gauze that Dr. Moore changed this morning. He grabbed his phone with his other hand as he texted his mom that there was an emergency and we needed her.

"What's going on?" I whispered in gasps as my eyes opened to look at his face as he set his phone on the bed, next to him.

"It's infected," he told me, kissing the side of my head as we waited for his mother to run in the room, which happened two minutes after he sent the text with Conner following behind as I saw my mom sitting up in the living room since they were still staying here until Joey can figure out which guards he wants to assign to the house.

"Joey, what's wrong?" His mother asked, rushing over to my side of the bed and kneeling next to it to stare at her son in utter despair and worry.

"It got infected and we're in a lot of pain right now, Mom," he told her, tightening his grip on me. Lila's eyes widened as she looked over at her husband, immediately telling him to call Dr. Moore to get over here as soon as possible.

She gave me a really soft smile before lifting the gauze that was taped to my skin with athletic tape to notice how the wound was swollen and red with a small amount of puss oozing out of it. She felt around it a little bit with very, very gentle hands as I held my breath to stop myself from freaking out from the pain.

"We're okay, beautiful," Joey whispered to me, setting his head on mine before shifting a bit next to me. Lila moved to check her son's wound to check that it was still exactly the same as mine.

Dr. Moore walked into our bedroom with a bag in his hand while he sports some sweatpants and some serious bedhead. "Hey, boys, you feeling alright?"

"Kade's in more pain than me, so do whatever you need to do on him first, worry about me later," Joey said, running his hand through my hair as I close my eyes as he starts to poke around the wound before placing a warm, wet cloth over the wound as I hear him rummaging through his bag that's on the floor.

"Let me just take your temperature really quick, Kade," Dr. Moore said, pulling out this huge thermometer that had a plastic covering over the wand type thing that goes into my mouth. Once the thing beeped, he looked down at it with a nod.

"What is it?" My mom asks as she sits down at the end of the bed to put my feet in her lap before starting to massage them for me.

"102.1, but we'll get that down. I'm going to give both of you a shot of steroid that will get you feeling better right away along with an antibiotic to help fight off the infection and I'll also clean out the wounds and redress them," Dr. Moore says as he moves through his bag again to pull out a little case that when he opens up, I see an array of needles.

I look over at Joey as I see the needles sitting in the box because I hate needles with a passion. When he sees me biting my lip in fear, he gives me a soft smile before reaching down to grip my hand while whispering distracting things to me.

"It's not usual for werewolves to get infections though, right? Should we be worried that something's wrong?" My mom asks and I continue looking at my boyfriend as Dr. Moore answers.