Chapter 37: Engage

Kade's POV

I stood staring at the tombstone for a few minutes, resisting the urge to cry as I stared at her name. This was the first time since the funeral that I've seen Gigi because I just couldn't build up the courage to come until right now. I wasn't even sure I was going to get out of the car until my legs just started moving on their own. I placed the flowers on her grave with shaky hands, hoping that I would just wake up from this terrible nightmare.

I turned around to look at the car and I noticed that Joey was staring down at his phone, probably wanting to give me some privacy at the moment. I kneeled down next to the tombstone, placing my hand on the cold marble, feeling closer to her that way. "I don't know what to say or how to even say it now that you're gone."

I wiped my eyes with my sleeve, wishing that she could just be here right now. Her smile was always so contagious and she always knew the right thing to say. Seeing her meet Joey was one of the best times in my life because he was so sweet to her and she only ever had nice things to say about him, even with the whole werewolf drama. She started to teach him how to cook and ever since she passed, I noticed the way he was weary of helping his mom in the kitchen.

"You'll never see me get married, have kids, be the leader I was destined to be. I want you to be here, I really do, but I know you're in a better place. I'll see you one day and until then, I'll live my life for you. I promise," I tell her before stepping away from the stone, knowing that I'll break down if I don't leave now. I walked through the path until I got to the car where Joey was waiting for me.

When I get in and sit down, I reach over to take my boyfriend's hand, silently telling him that I needed him. "You okay?"

I nod my head, not wanting to open my mouth in case a sob came out of it. I stared down at my feet as he started the car and started to make his way to the quarter house. I decided to shift my mind to think more about the happy things going on at the moment. The elders were closing on where the rogue packs had run off to after we found the warehouse, which means that all of this might be over soon.

I noticed how everyone was acting different around me, along with my own parents. I didn't know if it had to do with me recovering from being kidnapped, but this was different. It was like they were all hiding something and I was the only one that didn't know what the secret was. I had tried to ask Joey about it, but he just dismissed it, telling me that everyone's probably just a bit stressed with everything going on.

We pulled up to the house after the silent car ride and we both got out, going inside to see everyone doing their own thing. Lila was out in her garden while Conner sat at the picnic table with a book, glancing up to look at her every so often. Melissa was painting something at the dining room table while Cody had his laptop in front of him along with a stack of papers.

I followed Joey into our room where he sat down on his desk to start working on some paperwork for the elders. He turned towards me as I sat down on the bed to take off my boots. "So Cody and I have a meeting with the guards later and then afterwards, I was hoping we could go to the apartment, just us."

"What for?" I ask but excited about the idea of the two of us being alone since the past few weeks, it's been everyone bombarding me at home and at school to see if I was okay. We had told the school that I had gotten really sick since we couldn't exactly tell them that some rogues took me and I almost died.

"I just thought we could hang out and get away for a bit," he said and I noticed the lying again. This secret, whatever it is, I will be so happy once it's out in the open because I feel like everyone was walking on eggshells around me and it was starting to get old.