Chapter 29: Always

Kade's POV

When I was little, my grandmother took care of me. She was my second mom, my rock, my savior. I remember whenever my cousins and I would fight, I would go to her since my mom usually took the older ones' word before mine. My grandmother would always hold me when I cried and make sure I was alright. She would never let me leave without having her cook my favorite meal for me. She was always there for me, but when she needed me the most, I wasn't there.

I sat next to her bed, staring at her face with both of my hands clasped around hers. She looked so peaceful in her sleep. I didn't even care if my whole family saw the tears that were freely flowing down my face because all I cared about was her knowing that I was there for her in her final moments.

The doctors said that her heart was too weak to withstand the treatments she would have to go through to fix it. She was only alive right now because of the intubation tube in her throat that was breathing for her. My grandmother is going to die today. The same person that held me when my cousins were talking about how being gay was a sin. She stood up for me and had my back when I thought that I would be standing alone.

I set my forehead on the bed next to her sleeping figure and silently sobbed. I knew Joey was thinking about comforting me, but he knew that when I was angry, I couldn't stand to be touched. I looked up with puffy eyes and wet cheeks.

"I wasn't there," I whisper, my voice breaking slightly.

"What do you mean?" Joey whispers to me, kneeling next to my chair and I reached one hand out to place it on his shoulder to balance myself.

"When I was born, she was there for me up until this point, but I was never there for her," I whisper and his eyes softened as he shakes his head.

"Kade, you were there for her. You weren't literally, but you texted her every morning. You called her on the weekends. You went over there to see her. You were there for her. You even went to her last doctor's appointment. She only ever talked fondly of you and of how much you were always there for her," Dad told me.

That's when I heard the voice of the person that spent every day for 43 years with my grandmother; my grandfather.

"She talked about you every day," his croak voice said.

I looked at her hand. The way she would always hold it when times got rough, letting me cry into her shoulder. The way she always knew exactly what to say to make the situation better. I fidgeted with her hands while my grandfather talked to focus on something other than just his words.

"She always talked about how proud of you she was. Whenever she went to a reunion with her school or her friends, she would always bring you and Emilie up since you were the only grandchildren she talked to," he chuckled. "She said you were strong, Kade. She said every day that she was proud of you. I thought I would get sick of hearing it, but I didn't because I am proud of you too."

He looked over at my sister. "She was amazed by you, Emilie. She said that you did exactly what you were supposed to and worked hard at everything you did. She was proud of how mature you were at such a young age. We are both so incredibly proud of you. You stand up for what you believe in and we admire that."

I sniffled a little bit as more tears slid down my face and seeped onto the sheet of the bed.

"Did she really say that?" Emilie whispered, holding her hand over her mouth.

"Every single day."

We all heard footsteps from the door and looked up to see a nurse in blue scrubs and a sad smile. She looked over at my mom, who was the one talking to the doctors mostly because my grandfather couldn't bring himself to. My mom walked over to Gigi and kissed her forehead, lingering over her for a second to whisper something that was just between her and Gigi.