Chapter 27: Crutches

Kade's POV

I wobble my way to the kitchen as Joey follows behind me with his small limp. It's been about a week since that rogue bit my leg and I had a boot on my leg since walking on it could open the stitches that Dr. Moore had to put in. Joey's wound had healed up and he only had a small amount of pain because of his werewolf strength masking most of it while I still healed like a normal human, which sucked because this shit hurt.

"Good morning, boys, how're we feeling today?" Lila asked as she washed off her paintbrushes in the kitchen sink, glancing up at us to see how we were looking.

Joey's hand sat on the middle of my back as he looked up at his mom. "I think we're feeling better today. I'm definitely feeling a lot better than Kade."

Melissa and Cody come down the stairs with their backpacks swung over their shoulders. They give us smiles when they see us before looking at Lila who stares down at her paintbrushes. "Are you sure you'll be okay to go to school?"

I look at Melissa as she gives me a confused look and I nod my head. "Yeah, I have to go to school today anyways, I've already missed four days. I can't get too far behind or I'll never graduate."

"Well, we wouldn't let that happen," Cody said as he walked into the kitchen to make some coffee as Joey kept his arm wrapped around my waist as I keep my balance using the crutches that were underneath my arms. I look up at Joey who gives me a soft smile and rubs my back lightly that sends shocks up my spine, making my body shake a bit.

"We have to pick up Emilie," I remind him and he nods his head, grabbing his keys off of the counter and going over to give his mom a kiss on the cheek before coming back over to me as we wave goodbye to everyone. We walk out the front door to his car where he helps me in before sticking the crutches into the back.

We get past the gate where the guards wave at us before we hit the main road. The radio plays softly between us as I stare out the window at the trees that are whipping past as Joey hits the speed limit. I jump slightly when he hand sets on his shoulder, grabbing my attention.

"Are you doing okay?" He asks me in a soft voice.

"Yeah, I'm doing okay. I just wish all of this didn't have to happen," I whisper, turning my head to stare at him, hating to see that guilty look appear on his face because I didn't mean to make him feel that way. This was in no way his fault because this was our job. We had to protect this pack and if that involves us getting hurt in the process, then that's okay.

"I'm sorry, if there was anything I could do, I totally would, but-" he starts.

"No, it's okay. I didn't mean it like that. We have to do this because we have people to protect, I understand that," I whisper to him.

"If you want me to give up the position, I will. For you, I'll do anything," he whispers to me, completely shocking me with his words. I turn in my seat as best as I can to look at him as he keeps glancing at me while trying to also focus on the road in front of him.

"Joey, no, I would never want you to do that. This is your passion and I get to see it everyday. It's one of my favorite things to be able to witness. Every time you have to deal with something in the pack, I get to see you live your dream. You grew up with this position, you grew up with your pack members, and I would never, ever dream of taking that away from you," I whisper to him, taking his free hand in mine.

He glances over at me before looking back at the road. "Have I told you lately that I love you?"

I chuckle, nodding my head as he pulled into my driveway. "You might've mentioned it."