Chapter 30: Funeral

Kade's POV

"Some of you knew this amazing woman by Grandma, G, Mom, or just Grace. But I knew her by the name of Gigi. It never occurred to me that I might be up here one day, talking about Gigi instead of with her. It was selfish of me to think of her as invincible, considering everything she went through in her life and the impact she made on everyone she so much as smiled at. You could feel strength the moment she walked through the room. Anyone who met her and thought she was a 'weak, little, old lady' knew that was the last thing she ever was."

I breathed out as I tried to stop the tears from flowing as the people dressed in black stared at me or looked down at their laps. "Gigi understood more people than I could count. She always knew when someone was hurt, scared, sad. She knew personal things before they even knew it themselves. I cannot even remember every time Gigi would hold me when I was sad or scared or even embarrassed and how she would save me from myself."

I wiped my eyes and closed my eyes. "She was unbelievably compassionate. Her heart and generosity knew no bounds. Her door was always open to where you could go to her for the littlest of things or the biggest of things. You could even go to her if you just wanted to learn a simple lesson or wanted a cup of her special tea."

"I believe everyone that walks this planet makes a legacy of themselves. Whether it being so simple to helping one person or being so complex to saving thousands, it was something. Gigi saved everyone she came in contact with. She helped all of us in some way. She taught us things we would have never learned without her guidance. Now that I know that she is always gonna be looking down and watching all of us individually, I feel like I can accomplish things she told me I would. I don't know where she is or if I will ever be able to see her again, but I know she will be watching us."

I walked back to my seat after I closed out my eulogy with some kind words to my beautiful grandmother. I reach over to grab Joey's hand and he immediately grasped it to give me that silent support that he knew I needed. Emilie was playing with her note cards and I knew she didn't want to do this. She had told me while we were getting ready today that she didn't want to get up to speak about Gigi because she thought that her words would never do her justice of how amazing she actually is.

I watched her walk up and take a breath at the podium before gripping the sides. "Gigi was the strongest woman I knew. Anything I say right now won't even do justice for all the good that she did to this world, to all of you sitting here. She was a very passionate, loving woman who was extremely selfless and cared less for herself and more about others."

I tightened my grip on Joey's hands and he looked down at me before wrapping his arm around my shoulder and kissing my forehead. He leaned closer to my ear to whisper to me. "I'm here, okay? I'm here."

I nod my head as more tears start to fall down my face as I looked up to listen to my sister. "She has always been there for me throughout my lifetime. The day I was born, the day I graduated from elementary school, the day I realized that my goal in life was to be like her. She has taught me many lessons in life, but the most important is definitely being there for others is better than not."

I turned in my chair to sob into Joey's shoulder. I felt a hand lay on my shoulder and assumed it was one of my parents since they were sitting next to me. Joey ran his hand through my hair as he held me as tight as he possibly could.

"I want to thank her for being such a bright light for me every time the world started to seem dark. She guided me to the sun and helped me through everything that has ever happened to me. I don't know where I would even be without her and I'm so sorry that she won't get to see me live my life being just like her, but I know she'll be watching me with everything I do."