XXXIII: The Nana

Saturday, March 9th
4:10 pm - Finnley's Nursery
31 weeks and 3 days

Annabeth heaved a content sigh, carefully sitting in the rocking chair next to the crib. After weeks of work, the nursery was finally finished, and it looked amazing.

"We did it," Percy said with a shining grin. He looked over to where she was rocking, a hand resting on her belly. She was nearly eight months pregnant, and everyday she wondered where the time went. It felt like just yesterday she was sitting in the Riptide Café, terrified and shocked out of her mind. And every time she looked at Percy, it was like she was right back at that table, meeting him formally for the first time. She had no idea that that face would become her guiding light in some of her darkest times. She smiled at him.

"This is amazing," she laughed. "Thank you for helping me make this the best nursery anyone has ever seen."

Percy walked over to her. "Thanks for letting me help," he said, leaning down to kiss her gently. They both looked around the room in satisfaction.

Despite Annabeth's tireless efforts to try and help put furniture together and organize the room's layout, everyone ushered her away from doing anything that required work. She hated to have to be coddled like that, but she really did appreciate the generosity and kindness of the gesture. Of course, while her father and Sally were much gentler about it, Thalia and Percy were quick to yell at her—Thalia loved practicing her drill sergeant voice. It made Annabeth laugh.

"They're gonna love it," Percy said.

Annabeth chuckled. "Yeah, Silena is gonna adore this room."

"I wish I had this room growing up," he commented, picking up one of the dinosaur toys on a shelf against the wall. She watched him with a smile as he carefully placed it back down. "There should be, like, nursery contests," he started. Annabeth laughed at him. "Because if we entered, we would win."

Every word he said made her laugh harder. "Oh yeah? And what would our prize be?"

"$100 billion," he joked and they both started laughing. "I mean, between your brilliant architectural and interior design skills and my immaculate taste—and dashing good looks—it's a sure fire deal."

Annabeth shook her head at him. "You're such a dork."

"But I'm right," he countered.

"I suppose you are," she relented. "How do I look in this chair?" she asked, running her hands along the arms. It was a beautiful antique wooden rocking chair they had found and it was surprisingly comfortable for being so old. A bit of refurbishing by Beckendorf and the piece of furniture was good to go. She loved the intricate design in the wood.

Percy paused with a hand on his chin and squinting eyes. "Mmmm matronly," he decided.

"Hey!" Annabeth said, hitting him with one of the stuffed animals.

"Ow!" He dramatically fell to the floor.

"That makes me sound like I'm a hundred years old," she complained.

Percy laughed. "You look beautiful. And very comfortable might I add," he said, grinning up at her. She rolled her eyes at him. "This is a very soft rug," he noticed, running his hands over the fabric. "Where did you find this? It's great." Percy laid his head on the rug and spread out like a starfish.

Annabeth laughed and poked his side with her foot. "You having a nice time?" she teased.

"I am actually, thank you very much," he retorted snootily. Then he sat up in front of Annabeth, crossing his arms over her legs and resting his chin on his forearm. "Has he been kicking a lot lately?"