XXXIV: The Save

Annabeth's bump ^^

Hey guys I'm not dead I promise lol hope you like the chapter :P and thank you for sticking around and being patient w me... here's almost 5,000 words to make up for it :)

Saturday, March 16th
1:05 am - Annabeth's bedroom
Eight months and three days

"Percy."

"Annabeth."

Annabeth was grateful Percy was still awake. She hadn't been able to sleep, and it was creeping into the late hours of the night. She laid there, staring at the wall, in the quiet coolness of her room. She didn't really know why she couldn't sleep, although it seemed to be a new symptom of hers, something she didn't think could happen in the third trimester. Her body was exhausted, but her mind was wide awake, as if someone had forgotten to tell the gears the day had ended and it was time to go home.

Percy's gentle, deep voice cutting through the quiet sounded nice. She let it simmer in the air for a moment, lingering in the silence and echoing in her mind.

"I'm eight months pregnant."

The last Wednesday had been the official mark.

"You are? I hadn't noticed."

"I hate you."

A light chuckle. "You know I'm teasing you." 

"There's only a couple more weeks left. How terrifying is that?"

Despite their conversing, Annabeth stayed on her side away from Percy, speaking out into the open air. Laying in her bed, they weren't touching, not even by their fingers, but Percy's quiet presence was still strong. Neither seemed to mind.

"I can't believe it's already been eight months."

"I know right."

They talked slowly, un-rushed. They let each of their words float in the air like bubbles, patiently waiting for them to pop before blowing more. They hung on each other's every word. It was calm. It was the silence after pouring rain.

"I'm so glad I sat down in front of you that day."

"Me too. You have no idea."

Annabeth reminisced on the day often, his dashing smile, his hot chocolate in August. It still made her laugh.

"I don't think I would've been able to do it without you."

"You would have. I know you love me," he said with a slight smugness, and Annabeth pictured the smirk on his face, "but that doesn't mean you're not strong and determined on your own. That's all you, Annabeth."

"I do love you. You make it easier to be strong, you know. You also remind me that I don't have to be all the time."

"That's right. You bring out all the best in me, do you know that?"

"Do I?"

"You really do."

There was a pause, and Annabeth's heart smiled. He never failed to make her feel so loved and important. She counted her blessings every day, and Percy was very high on that list.

"I love you a lot. Like, I'm not sure if you understand how much I love you."

At this point Annabeth turned to her other side to face him. She wanted to see his face, to see if it was sinking in, just how important he was to her. He was lying on his back. She studied the profile of his face, the gentle curve of his lips, high cheekbones, his straight nose, thick eyebrows. Her eyes traced his outline, from his Adam's apple to his hairline. His thick, black hair flopped back, spreading daintily on the pillow. He was so gorgeous.