XVI: The Costume

Hello! I'm using the picture^^ as a reference to Annabeth's belly. (A grape is basically the same size as a cherry, it's fine) She's still pretty small, but she's getting there lmao. This is really just kind of a filler but. Also enjoy Thalia and Annabeth geeking out over how fucking badass and insane pregnancy is. Anyways, hope you guys like this chapter—I like writing the ultrasound scenes, they're so emotional lol.

Friday, October 5th
3:30pm - Dr. Wilkins' office
9 weeks and 2 days

"So Annabeth, how're you feeling?" Dr. Wilkins asked, closing the door.

"Well, a lot better since I almost fainted," Annabeth said, almost jokingly.

Dr. Wilkins chuckled. "Good, I'm glad. So you're scheduled for an ultrasound, just to check up and make sure everything is alright." She pulled on her gloves.

Annabeth glanced at Thalia who sat in the extra chair. She smiled at her before she laid down and pulled up her shirt. Her bump was getting bigger, ever so slowly. It was still small enough that she could cover it with big sweaters, and luckily it was big sweater season. She took a deep breath as she applied the gel. Then, she began the ultrasound.

"So, you are nine weeks and two days along, or two months, however you want to look at it." Annabeth couldn't believe it had been that long, it all still felt so new. But she was really two months pregnant. It felt odd to think about. "And at this point, your baby is the size of a cherry." She showed Annabeth the screen.

Her face broke into a grin. She loved seeing her baby, even though it was barely even there it was so tiny, she still felt the love and excitement. At this point, she had managed to wrap her mind around the fact that she was really going to have a baby. Now all she could think was how incredible it was that her body could do this. She could create another human.

"And there's the heartbeat." The steady thumping came through on the monitor. Tears formed in Annabeth's eyes. It was just so incredible. The sound wasn't loud, but it reverberated through her entire body, and she could feel it aligning with her own heart beat.

"Wow," Thalia said. "That's... crazy," she breathed, smiling.

"I know right?" Annabeth said, a few tears slipping down her face. She wiped them away. She felt such a strong connection to this little fetus, it was incredible.

Dr. Wilkins smiled at her. "It is pretty amazing." She moved the transducer around a bit. "You're two thirds of the way through your first trimester, you've got one more month to go. And the first trimester is when you experience the worst of the vomiting, nausea, you know. So that should start to slow down a bit, I'd say about four weeks from now." Boy was she glad to hear that. "But apart from that, everything looks good. As for your fainting, I'd say it's from stress. I know it's not easy to always deal with it, but I recommend resting and relaxing. Remember to take a deep breath and make sure you're calm."

"Okay," Annabeth nodded.

"Well, you're all good. Do you have any other questions?"

"I heard that you shouldn't take baths when you're pregnant. Why, though?" Annabeth asked. She rather liked a relaxing bath every now and then, and she'd imagine it'd feel even better now, but apparently not.

"Well, you actually can take baths, as long as the water isn't too hot. You don't want your body temperature rising too much because that isn't good for the baby," she explained.

"Oh, ok. Awesome." Annabeth smiled.

"If anything else comes up, call anytime, okay?" Dr. Wilkins gave Annabeth a smile as she cleaned up. Then they stood and she walked them out.