XIII: The Memories

I'm really sorry that these are so slow! But this is a bit of a longer chapter so buckle up! Above is the song they listen to—one of my favorites right now. Also I'm working on the next right now—you'll find out why when you reach the end ;) enjoy!!

Wednesday, September 26th
3:15 pm - Riptide Café

"Thanks, keep the change," Percy said as he handed the guy a ten dollar bill. He picked up Annabeth's soup and walked out of the cafe. Making his way to his car, he whistled as he lifted his face into the sunlight. He made a mental note to make Annabeth get some fresh air when he got to her house.

After a short drive, Percy was parked outside Annabeth's home. He made his way up the walkway, knocking at the door. Mr. Chase opened the door.

"Hi," he said, a small smile on his face. He looked a bit tired as he ran a hand through his blonde and grey-streaked hair.

"I'm Percy, Annabeth's friend," he introduced himself. "I brought soup." He held up the bag.

"Ah yes," he seemed to recognize the name. "Come in." Percy stepped inside. "Thank you, for the soup. Annabeth is upstairs if you want to run it to her. I've been back and forth between that and my study," he sighed.

"Of course. I'll hang out with her for a bit, if you want a break," Percy offered.

"Thank you." His voice was breathy and thin. "And," he stuck his hand out, "call me Fred." Percy shook his hand firmly.

"I'll be right in my study," he said with a subtle warning to his tone. Percy nodded seriously, trying to show respect. Once he walked off, Percy made his way up the stairs.

"Annabeth?" He knocked lightly on her door, even though it was already slightly ajar.

"Hi," she said. She was sprawled across her bed, which was neatly made until she, seemingly, plopped herself down. She sounded miserable.

"I brought you soup," he started. "And your homework."

"Thanks. Can you just leave it on my desk?" She pointed, without looking, to the desk pushed against the wall next to a window. He walked over, placing the bag and stack of books down. He placed his bookbag on the floor as well.

"How you holding up?" he asked sympathetically.

"Well, I haven't stopped vomiting. Actually, I haven't puked in about ten minutes, which is the longest I've gone." She reached over with a hand, knocking on the wood of her nightstand. Percy chuckled slightly.

"I'm sorry. You should get some fresh air, its nice in the sun," he suggested. Annabeth groaned. "Come on. Lets go sit outside," he nodded towards the door. She turned and sat up on the bed. She let out a long groan which turned into a sigh and stretched. Percy tried not to stare at the sliver of skin peeking through where her shirt came up, or her tan, toned arms.

"Fine," she agreed, standing up. She then led Percy out of her room, down the stairs, and through the kitchen until they finally reached the backyard. Annabeth walked barefoot through the grass before stopping in nearly the middle of the yard. She looked up towards the sun, closing her eyes and spreading her arms. She inhaled deeply. Percy watched her intently, taking in every detail of her beauty. Her skin nearly glowed in the warm light, her hair shined like gold silk, and her prominent cheek bones and jaw line stood out more than usual. He saw the light spray of auburn freckles that danced across her cheeks, and long thick eyelashes that fluttered. She was like a work of art; something so moving and gorgeous, you had to stop and stare. She was incredible.

Percy looked away just as she opened her eyes.

"You were right," she decided, looking around the yard. "This feels good."