XXV: The Surprise Visit

Wow I am so sorry that this took so incredibly long. I know that you guys always yell at me for apologizing, but idc I'm gonna do it anyways :)
But yeah this is kind of a long one but I hope you guys like it. Oddly enough, the Christmas chapter is coming up soon which I know is horribly off time but it's ok
Also did you guys know it's been over a year since I started writing breathe? Ugh that's crazy and so much longer than I wanted this to take but oh well whaddya gonna do?
Anyways, this is going on for too long so I love you guys and I hope you enjoy :)

Wednesday, December 19th
1:30 pm - Annabeth's kitchen
20 weeks

"So, just explain to me again exactly what happened," Annabeth said, dabbing at another cut on his face.

Percy didn't wince under the sting of peroxide—he was used to it by now, as sad as that was. As for why he was cut at all, well that's quite the story.

"I was leaving the school when Ethan and Matt called after me. They were saying... things that were... not kind about you," he decided. The last thing he was gonna tell Annabeth was what they were calling her. It was so far from true and just... vulgar. He didn't even want to think about it. "So, naturally, I defended you. But they didn't like it—"

"Percy you hit someone for me!?" she asked incredulously.

"No, no!" he insisted. "I didn't throw the first punch, I promise. Ethan did, and maybe it was because I insulted him but that's besides the point," he rushed out, speaking quickly and quietly. "By then it was just self defense."

Annabeth sighed. "Did you at least put those assholes in their places?" she asked, squinting in concentration. She started cleaning the blood off of his cheek. Percy had gotten it pretty bad from them, but that was a two way street.

"Yeah," he said, smiling a bit. Of course, Ethan had landed a punch right to his mouth, making the one thing he wanted to do all the time (kiss Annabeth) a little more difficult. But he'd find a way around it. "They won't be saying anything for a while."

Annabeth smiled sadly at him. "Well, thank you. But if that happens again, please just ignore them. I don't want you getting into fights because of me," she said. Percy realized the look of guilt in her eyes.

"Annabeth, I don't want you to feel guilty. I'm gonna defend you no matter what, there's no way around that," he explained. "But I'll try not to get punched in the face next time." He shrugged and gave her a little smile. She closed her eyes and grinned, chuckling. Then she leaned forward and placed a kiss on his lips. It was incredibly slow and felt like a butterfly landing on his mouth, but he knew it was Annabeth being gentle.

She was so gentle. She did everything with incredible care, and yet she was one of the most powerful people Percy knew. There was never a doubt in his mind that she was going to be an amazing mother. She was everything a mother should be and more. She was everything anyone could ever want... everything Percy could ever want, and even more than that.

In the silence, he debated with himself; should he bring it up? The thought of it put a lump in his throat. Not because he was having second thoughts about Annabeth, but because she didn't seem to... reciprocate, exactly. But there were no solid signs of it, and the last thing he would want to do was hide his feelings from Annabeth—she'd just figure them out anyways; she could read him like a book. But still—he was nervous.

He decided not to bring it up, leaving them in comfortable silence.

Just then, someone opened the door, the sound of keys rattling in the lock. A second later, Annabeth's father walked into the house.